Thread: Multi Vitamin, Mineral Supplements Linked To Less-Severe, Shorter-Lasting Illness

Default Multi Vitamin, Mineral Supplements Linked To Less-Severe, Shorter-Lasting Illness

Oregon State University
    August 18 2020

Older adults who took a daily multivitamin and mineral supplement with zinc and high amounts of vitamin C in a 12-week study experienced sickness for shorter periods and with less severe symptoms than counterparts in a control group receiving a placebo.
    The findings by Oregon State University researchers were published in the journal Nutrients.

Read more: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0818094048.htm

Default Re: Multi Vitamin, Mineral Supplements Linked To Less-Severe, Shorter-Lasting Illness

Happy to see a study confirming benefits of vits. & mins. in older adults. Surprisingly, the multi-vitamin only included vits. C, D, B6 and B12, leaving out B1, B2, B3, B5, B7, & B9. I believe the results would have been more impressive had the multi-vit. included all B Complex vits. In addition, vit. K2--which is critical for older adults--should have been included. Regarding the minerals, only copper & zinc were used. Unfortunately, copper & zinc compete with each other for absorption and generally should not be taken together. However, since there was 10 times more zinc than copper, the zinc won out. Adding minerals like magnesium, boron, manganese, silica, etc. would have bettered the results. But, this was a step in the right direction!!
    Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:34 PM.

Default Re: Multi Vitamin, Mineral Supplements Linked To Less-Severe, Shorter-Lasting Illness

Tablets can only cram so much into a small space - I guess they choose which they think is most important. It's the reason I take my supplements separately. Minerals like selenium and boron are often missing.

One of the best and most complete multiple vitamin/mineral supplements I have found is the Two Per Day product from Life Extension. You need two per day because as Julieanne says, it's impossible to get everything into one small space! Because I eat organic and healthy, I used to rely on only one per day but now that I'm fighting macular degeneration, I follow the instructions as well as including other ingredients in my daily regimen specifically to address the md. I think it's been two years and the md has not progressed at all since the day of diagnosis, so apparently my routine is effective.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information