Thread: Long, Frequent Naps Predict Alzheimer's Dementia

Default Long, Frequent Naps Predict Alzheimer's Dementia

Judy George
    August 29 2020

Longer, more frequent daytime naps in elderly adults predicted a higher risk of incident Alzheimer's dementia over time, an actigraphy study showed.

Elderly people who napped more than once a day had 1.3-fold increased risk in developing future Alzheimer's dementia, reported Peng Li, PhD, of Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, and colleagues, at the virtual SLEEP 2020, a joint meeting of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine and the Sleep Research Society.

Read more: https://www.medpagetoday.com/meeting...ail-definition

Default Re: Long, Frequent Naps Predict Alzheimer's Dementia

As usual, one should ask about cause rather than effect. A person whose brain is fighting against inflammation will need more naps to rest from the struggle.

From the article: "No participant had dementia at baseline". I don't think it was suggesting naps as a cause, but a sign of developing dementia.

The thought of getting dementia terrifies me (not an uncommon fear), but if I nap during the day it is nearly always just lack of sleep at night.

I've been napping everyday, sometimes twice. I suspect that the air quality here may have something to do with that, due to all the forest fire smoke and smog in the air from the West Coast wildfires. Most days the skies have been cloudless, but not blue. Rather the sky looks like one gigantic yellowish beige lamp shade, at varying altitudes that can affect distance visibility (like fog), and where one can sometimes actually smell subtle smoke.

I live at 6300' elev. (~2000 meters) which means a lot thinner air (compared to where I was born and raised at sea level back east), especially in hot weather, ask any pilot, cold air is denser. And typically in summer monsoon season, July, August, and perhaps now in September, it can get humid here, even if it doesn't rain much, and that humidity displaces oxygen that much more, making air quality breathing even worse. Couple all that together with the West Coast wildfire smog, airborn grass pollen allergies, (while scaring me about Covid19), and being 74 Y.O., I guess it's no wonder I need to nap a lot, and sometimes for well over an hour. Those are my suspicions, and I can't wait for winter to arrive.

Oh, and I might add that my late MIL next door, who passed on over 5 years ago, and who had outlived my late wife by four years, according to the hospital doctor, succumbed to advanced Alzheimers.
    Last edited by grulla; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:01 PM.

I can never sleep during the day unless under extraordinary circumstances, e.g. a sleepless night or intense stress. As you may have noticed from my recent absence here, however, I've been busy from dawn to dusk preserving the harvest, picking and canning and pickling and processing all the good foods I raise. Just about everyone in Maine had a backyard garden this year; seedlings were in short supply in the spring and now freezers and canning jar lids are hard to get, virtually unavailable! I love to see Maine people getting back to their roots (no pun intended) — the old-fashioned traditional values of growing and preserving your own food. We have always been independent and self-sufficient!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information