Thread: Superhero Virus Hunter

Default Superhero Virus Hunter

Celeste McGovern
    September 2020

Celeste McGovern investigates the extraordinary protective powers of superstar molecule glutathione and its biological precursor, N-acetylcysteine to fight viruses and much more

A curious paper published this spring by Russian medical researcher Alexey Polonikov at the height of the coronavirus pandemic looked at a sampling of four COVID-19-positive patients at Kursk State Medical University: two with moderate to severe symptoms that persisted, and two with mild symptoms that disappeared without treatment within days.

All four patients were women, nonsmokers with no previously diagnosed underlying chronic conditions. The women were part of a healthy control group in a separate study of oxidation status in type 2 diabetes at the university's Research Institute for Genetic and Molecular Epidemiology.

Read more: https://www.wddty.com/magazine/2020/...us-hunter.html

Default Re: Superhero Virus Hunter

Having read about the virtues and benefits of NAC, I started taking it about a month ago. This very detailed article was helpful in supplying additional information that I either didn't know or had forgotten, for instance the importance of selenium in boosting NAC (I had just finished reading Mr. Wizard's reference to selenium as offsetting mercury, and in fact I do take selenium almost daily).
    One problem: that stuff stinks! When I unscrew the bottle the most awful aroma is released. Has anyone else noticed this?
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

I always have referred to NAC as "stinky pills". Good thing they come in capsules; I don't think I would tolerate making a drink with the powder version.

Reading this study on NAC made me curious about all the nutrients and/or supplements that have been identified as playing a role in preventing, surviving, or recovering from COVID-19. Taking a cue from grulla, I perused the 210 articles posted here in HH's COVID subforum since Feb. 2020 to identify the nutrients "most often" mentioned as playing a role in COVID-19. In descending order, they are: 1. high dose vit. C; 2. zinc; 3. vit. D3; 4. quercetin; 5. magnesium; 6. selenium; 7. vit. B-12; 8. glutathione; and now....NAC.
    Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:05 AM.

I've been taking NAC for a few years in tablet form, and there is no smell or taste. Why would that be? I break them in half, and still no smell.

NAC has a high sulfur content, which creates the smell. I'm guessing that the tablet form you take may have a lower sulfur content. As you know, not all supplements are created equal.

I wanted to compare, but my stinky tablets show no ingredients other than NAC — unless the sulfur content is included in the N or the A or the C!

Mr. Wizard, my respect to you for cruising through 210 articles in search of the most common/most popular supplements to fight COVID-19. That must have involved quite a chunk of time! But your effort was reassuring to me because every one of those is one of my daily intakes.

It really didn't take long to peruse the articles. I focused mainly on titles and charge paragraphs. Unfortunately, the majority of the 210 articles focused on pharmaceuticals, like hydroxychloroquine and remdesivir, and clinical trials and vaccines, demonstrating how the medical community and the government have dominated COVID issues, leaving nutritionists, naturopaths and the like to play catchup.

Thread Information