Thread: Medical Myths: All About Aging

Default Medical Myths: All About Aging

Tim Newman
    September 7 2020

In the latest installment of our Medical Myths series, we tackle myths associated with aging. Because aging is inevitable and, for some people, frightening, it is no surprise that myths abound.

Around 300,000 generations ago, the human species split from an ancient ancestor that we share with chimpanzees. Since then, human life expectancy at birth has doubled.
    Over the last 200 years, life expectancy at birth has doubled again. As animals go, humans perform well in longevity.
    According to the World Health Organization (WHO), “Between 2000 and 2050, the proportion of the world’s population over 60 years will double from about 11% to 22%.”

Read more: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...830&utm_term=A
    Last edited by Islander; 09-09-20 at 07:52 AM.

Default Re: Medical Myths: All About Aging

That's an encouraging article. I continue to do my physical therapy. Even though it has no effect on the pain of bursitis, it continues to strengthen my core. And since I'm not carrying 50-pound bags of livestock feed every week any more, I think it's important to maintain some level of fitness in any way that I can.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Getting older is inevitable, aging is optional. Great article, worth reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Havanana View Post
    Getting older is inevitable, aging is optional. Great article, worth reading.
    Too true! In a few short months I'll be 80. I can't dance the Macarena but I bet I can arm wrestle you to the table!

Thank you for this interesting piece. Indeed, its so imperative to be positive and replace critical inner voices with positive ones. I wonder what these anti aging clinics do?

Paul, It seems that anti-aging mostly refers to appearance, especially for women. I would say that 99% of the anti-aging advertising is about improving the skin by various means, usually expensive. It is only health forums like this one that take a broader view and link it to health and fitness.

About 3-4 weeks ago, I pulled my lower back out of whack, (lumbago), and I'm not sure how I did that, and it can at times be quite debilitating. A lot of my homestead activities depend, to some extent, on a strong and healthy back.

In the past when lumbago happened to me, it was because of an identifiable incident, such as lifting or reaching the wrong way without properly bending my knees, and I was able to eliminate the lower back pain in a few days by doing some simple exercise, like laying flat on my back and "marching" my legs towards my chin.

But this time is different as I'm not able to as easily get rid of this mysterious lower back pain. I guess at 74 Y.O., it's becoming age related. Just when I think I'm making progress with my sore back, I seem to reaggrevate the problem, two steps forward and then a step(s) backward.

Yesterday, my SIL and I volunteered in town to help sort out recyclable plastics for a new NP organization, and that simple physical activity brought back my back pain again, but this morning after a good night's sleep flat on my back, it's a bunch better once again. Just lying/sleeping flat on my back without the fetal position seems to help a lot. Sometimes I used a heating pad (EMFs , the manufacturers oughta rectify those heating pads from AC to DC), and that seemed to help, but just up to a point, as too much further heating pad use seemed to be counter productive. Walking exercise is a big help, gotta spend less time as a chair potato at this computer, lol!

Recently, I read somewhere that sometimes, Covid symptoms can be chronic pain, so I'm keeping that thought on the backburner, but I'm certainly not running to the hospital or local clinic yelling, "The sky is falling!!!"

It's great to read about this medical myths and learn what you've been believing for years it not true at all. Thank you for sharing this wonderful article.

Grulla, I am not constantly online but there is work that I do on the computer, so one way or another, I am often sedentary. However, I keep a timer next to me, set for 20 minutes, and when it rings, I get up and walk away. I may carry in a load of wood from the woodshed, or make the bed, or play with the dog or do some other five minute task on my feet before returning to the computer. Too much sitting is killing us.

Thanks for that reminder.

Thread Information