Thread: Probiotics May Help Manage Childhood Obesity, Study Finds

Default Probiotics May Help Manage Childhood Obesity, Study Finds

Kristen Rogers
    September 7 2020

More than 340 million children and adolescents, globally, were overweight or obese in 2016, meaning they're at greater risk for obesity and disease later in life, and even early death. One solution to the growing burden could be found by turning attention to kids' gut health. In combination with a calorie-controlled diet, the probiotic strain Bifidobacterium breve may help children and adolescents with obesity lose weight, according to a small study to be presented Monday at e-ECE 2020, the 22nd European Congress of Endocrinology.

Read more: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/07/h...ess/index.html

Default Re: Probiotics May Help Manage Childhood Obesity, Study Finds

As researchers learn more about gut microbiome, I suspect we'll better understand the critical role of probiotics. I read a study several years ago that indicated the probiotic-- "Lactobacillus rhamnosus" --was effective in helping to correct peanut allergies in children. I'll try to locate and post the study here.

Here's the link to Australian study on how the probiotic Lactobaillus rhamnosus helps children with peanut allergies.
    Read more here: https://www.mcri.edu.au/news/researc...peanut-allergy

I went online to see whether there were any updates to this 2017 experiment, and in fact I found one. Sadly, it's not the news we hoped for. A number of flaws in the original trials appear to discredit the findings.

https://www.allergicliving.com/2017/...nd-probiotics/
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

The 3 Canadian researchers contending that the Australian study was flawed are competitors who are working on their own immunotherapies. I went directly to the Murdoch Childrens Research Institute website to see if they had addressed their Canadian critics. A week before the Canadians issued their concerns, the Murdoch Institute announced it had received $15 million in funding to develop an FDA-approved product based on their findings. Also, a few years ago after reading about this study, my granddaughter began taking lactobacillus rhamnosus, along with other things, to treat her peanut allergies. While I can't say her improvement is due solely to the probiotic alone, she definitely improved. This is one I will continue to follow, for sure.
    Read about the $15 million investment here: https://www.mcri.edu.au/news/researc...peanut-allergy

My weekly news magazine, THE WEEK (to my knowledge, the only completely unbiased news magazine, highly recommend it if you've never seen it) mentioned Palforzia as a protection against exposure to peanut protein. It's a drug recently approved by the FDA. At first I thought it was an answer to the trials and studies mentioned in this series of articles, but no — you must still continue your avoidance of peanuts. Apparently all this new drug does is to protect you against accidental exposure in the environment.

FDA approves first drug for treatment of peanut allergy for children

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/pres...lergy-children
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Based on the Australian study mentioned above, an Australian biotech company, working with Murdoch Childrens Institute, is proceeding with clinical trials to develop an FDA approved medication for peanut allergies. The company--Prota Therapeutics--announced in May 2018 that it was conducting Phase IIb clinical trials using the probiotic Lactobacillus rhamnosus. The trials involve over 200 children, with results expected sometime in 2020.
    Read Prota Therapeutics' announcement here: https://protatherapeutics.com/index....cations/media/

Thread Information