Thread: Thousands of ducks released to protect Thai rice fields from pests

Default Thousands of ducks released to protect Thai rice fields from pests

If this isn't large scale eco-organic farming, then what is. Got rice.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3N6BG9owwk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWrG2xQiq-4
    Last edited by grulla; 09-16-20 at 10:39 AM.

Default Re: Thousands of ducks released to protect Thai rice fields from pests

I first came across this idea when I was doing a permaculture course in 1985. The course introduced us to many practices around the world that made enormous good sense. A lot more sense than our current Big Ag approach to feeding the world.

I always admire the innovative, creative, and simple low tech way natural farmers and other pragmatic people think. Got ducks.

Yuck! These are germy creatures. Ducks and other waterfowl are loaded with all sorts of bacteria, especially salmonella on their wings, feet, & beaks.....to say nothing of what's in their droppings. How can this be healthy?? No thanks. I'll take my rice without the ducks. Lol.
    Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 09-18-20 at 03:44 PM.

My next door neighbour, and one further away, used to keep flocks of ducks. I was the grateful recipient of duck eggs back then, and neither of them ever got sick. Mr Wiz, do you never eat duck?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard View Post
    Yuck! These are germy creatures. Ducks and other waterfowl are loaded with all sorts of bacteria, especially salmonella on their wings, feet, & beaks.....to say nothing of what's in their droppings. How can this be healthy?? No thanks. I'll take my rice with the ducks. Lol.
    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/42/97...e947206284.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Julieanne View Post
    My next door neighbour, and one further away, used to keep flocks of ducks. I was the grateful recipient of duck eggs back then, and neither of them ever got sick. Mr Wiz, do you never eat duck?
    I have never eaten duck....not because I'm afraid of their germs. I've just never bothered to cook it or order it in a restaurant. But, the enormous flock of ducks shown in the video just reminded me of how germy flocks of birds can be. Lol.

Hunting waterfowl has long been a popular pastime both here and in the British isles where it originated. I consider duck a delicacy and order it whenever I can afford it. It is rich and delicious, usually accompanied by an orange or lemon-based sauce. I've never tried raising any because I'm told that they are very difficult to pluck without tearing the skin; the local slaughterhouses generally prefer not to process them for that reason.

Oh, and the temperature required to cook a duck would certainly eliminate any potential germy livestock!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

I grew up eating the ducks which my foster brother had shot on the shore of Lake Erie. My favorite was a Widgeon. Yes, they are a real mess to pluck. Guess who had to pluck a duck?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard View Post
    ....... I've just never bothered to cook it or order it in a restaurant.....
    Being a dark poultry meat lover, duck and goose had been a favorite of mine years ago, as I have not prepared that recently. When I did prepare duck or goose, it was slow roasted the 24 hour Adele Davis method from her cook book, Let's Cook it Right. at 180*-185*F, the temperature used for all of her poultry slow roasting such as turkey, capons, etc.. I first prescribed to Davis' slow roasting method for all roasts (lamb, pork, beef, and poultry) back in the mid 70s shortly after her slow roasting cookbook was first published.
    Last edited by Islander; 09-20-20 at 07:59 PM.

In the meanwhile, my slowly stewing dark meat chicken quarters' legs 'n thighs, primed with a little CCO, and seasoned with turmeric, black pepper, a pinch of pink mined salt, parsley, garlic powder, and oregano, simmered in a large, covered cast iron pan will do just fine.
    Last edited by Islander; 09-20-20 at 08:00 PM.

While we're on the subject of odd poultry, for years we raised our own turkeys and geese, and once I did a suckling pig for Christmas — yes, the traditional one with a necklace of raisins and an apple in its mouth. It was tender, tasty and succulent but felt really odd because there were no bones, only cartilage. And as the date approached, I had to keep catching them and laying them down in the roasting pan to make sure they didn't outgrow it. When Christmas came, I had no choice but to take the smallest one in the litter and even then it was mighty close!
    Otherwise, for Thanksgiving and Christmas there was either a turkey or a goose, and every year my husband promised to take off work early in order to help me catch and kill it. Can you guess how the rest of the story goes? Do you have any idea of the wingspan of one of these birds? Or the power in a goose's wing, which can break a child's arm? Or a 40-pound turkey, because that's how big they get? Yep, it was left to me to catch one, overpower it, bind its wings, kill it, hang it and pluck it.
    Yes, farming is hard work. But when you look at the feast laid out on the table and know that everything came off the place, even the bread and herbs in the stuffing… Well that's a warm snug feeling.

As long as we are on poultry, one of my favorite family traditions was Martin's Goose Day. One of my foster families was Swedish, and this was a very big deal, the goose being consumed totally. Goose grease on toast for breakfast for as many days afterwards as the goose grease lasted. Where I live now, there would be nowhere to get a goose, but I do miss those wonderful dinners.

What wonderful memories, Maurya!
    I read a lot of history and a lot of historical fiction. 100 years ago and more, goose grease was a valuable commodity for treating things like chilblains. Sheep tallow was used to waterproof one's boots. And so forth. We did a Christmas goose only once. You have to put a layer of brown paper bag over it as it roasts to help keep the greasy splatters in place. No question, plenty of goose grease!

Thread Information