Thread: Fructose Made In The Brain Could Be Mechanism Driving Alzheimer's Disease

Default Fructose Made In The Brain Could Be Mechanism Driving Alzheimer's Disease

University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus
    September 23 2020

New research released from the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus proposes that Alzheimer's disease may be driven by the overactivation of fructose made in the brain.
    The study was published in the Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience and outlined the hypothesis that Alzheimer's disease is driven largely by Western culture that has resulted in excessive fructose metabolism in the brain.
    The paper brought together an interdisciplinary team of neurologists, neuroscientists and experts on sugar metabolism, and presents evidence from extensive data and research conducted in Alzheimer's disease that links high fructose levels in the brain to the disease. It also helps explain associations, such as why diabetes and obesity are associated with an increased risk for Alzheimer's disease.

Read more: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0923124802.htm
    Last edited by Julieanne; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:54 PM.

Default Re: Fructose Made In The Brain Could Be Mechanism Driving Alzheimer's Disease

Interesting study!! It reminds me of the studies a few years ago that linked Alzheimer's to blood sugar metabolism in the brain----deeming Alzheimer's as Type 3 Diabetes. This study states that Alzheimer's is driven by the high fructose-laden diets of Western culture, which results in excessive sugar metabolism in the brain. I'm not so sure about this. Finland, for example, has the highest rate of Alzheimer's in the world. But, the average diet in Finland is dominated by fish--they eat lots of fish. It's the country of a "Thousand Lakes" because water is everywhere. The U.S. is rated #2 for the high rate of Alzheimer's, and I accept that the general U.S. diet contains excessive fructose. However, the other top 5 countries for Alzheimer's--Iceland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, & Switzerland--I struggle with characterizing these countries with excessive high fructose diets, based on my limited knowledge.

Default Re: Fructose Made In The Brain Could Be Mechanism Driving Alzheimer's Disease

I agree with your assessment, Mr. Wizard. Whenever the discussion of Alzheimer's comes up, it serves to remind us how little we still know about this condition.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

I think the overall ageing process is a more significant factor for driving Alzheimer's than fructose in the brain. All but one of the top 6 countries with the highest rate of Alzheimer's--Finland, United States, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland--have the highest percentage of people 60 yrs. old or older, according to the U.N. World Population Ageing report. While early onset Alzheimer's is a reality, the disease is largely an old people disease.

Thread Information