Thread: Texas city declares disaster after brain-eating amoeba found in tap water

Default Texas city declares disaster after brain-eating amoeba found in tap water

CBS/AP no author cited
    SEPTEMBER 26, 2020

Officials in the city of Lake Jackson, Texas, issued a disaster declaration on Saturday in response to drinking water contaminated with a brain-eating amoeba. The city is under a "do not use water order," and has requested an emergency declaration from the state.
    "The City of Lake Jackson, County of Brazoria, Texas, is facing significant threats to life, health and property due to contaminated drinking water," the city said in itsemergency request to Governor Greg Abbott. "The impact of this threat is severe. The potential damages include: sickness and death."

Continue reading at:
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/brain-e...ter-authority/
    Last edited by grulla; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:20 AM.

Default Re: Texas city declares disaster after brain-eating amoeba found in tap water

Another TV news source I observed stipulated that the brain eating amoeba was due to nasal inhalation of airborn water spray vapor to the brain, and not ingestion.

PS: This related EcoWatch article just now arrived in my email:
    https://www.ecowatch.com/brain-eatin...647843422.html

And all of this is not to say that similar problems can't come from other sources, as discussed in a HH thread just one year ago:
    https://www.hawkeshealth.net/communi...ght=open+ocean
    Last edited by grulla; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:45 PM.

Default Re: Texas city declares disaster after brain-eating amoeba found in tap water

I found that ecowatch article elsewhere and had a good laugh over it. Texas is well known in educational circles for the poor quality of it schools, and for the wretched textbooks that it holds a huge market on. Given the size of the Texas population and the condition of their educational system, one has to wonder how widespread this brain-eating amoeba is.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Veteran Member

I'm sorry, but I'm at a loss to understand how that article could make anyone laugh. The situation is serious.

Indeed it is, and my sick sense of humor is to blame. The thing is, here in the US Texas has a poor reputation for excellence in schools, literacy, intelligence, rulings of the State Board of Education and the list goes on. I wish I could cite some of the dozens of examples I've read of the absurdity that gets incorporated into their textbooks which, unfortunately, because of the huge population of the state, are produced in immense numbers and adopted by other states as well. Oh, here's one I remember: Mary Kay, the founder of Mary Kay cosmetics, is apparently a native of Texas and has won more coverage in Texas history books than quite a number of significant, and more deserving, folks who played a role in the state's history.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information