Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ensuring Uptake of Vaccines against SARS-CoV-2

Veteran Member

Default Ensuring Uptake of Vaccines against SARS-CoV-2

From the New England Journal of Medicine

Ensuring Uptake of Vaccines against SARS-CoV-2

Michelle M. Mello, J.D., Ph.D., Ross D. Silverman, J.D., M.P.H., and Saad B. Omer, M.B., B.S., M.P.H., Ph.D.
    October 1, 2020
    N Engl J Med 2020; 383:1296-1299
    DOI: 10.1056/NEJMp2020926

As Covid-19 continues to exact a heavy toll, development of a vaccine appears the most promising means of restoring normalcy to civil life. Perhaps no scientific breakthrough is more eagerly anticipated. But bringing a vaccine to market is only half the challenge; also critical is ensuring a high enough vaccination rate to achieve herd immunity. Concerningly, a recent poll found that only 49% of Americans planned to get vaccinated against SARS-CoV-2.1

One option for increasing vaccine uptake is to require it. Mandatory vaccination has proven effective in ensuring high childhood immunization rates in many high-income countries.

Continue reading https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2020926

Default Re: Ensuring Uptake of Vaccines against SARS-CoV-2

Two points: #1. the article states "...ensuring a high enough vaccination rate to achieve "herd immunity." What rate is that? I've seen expert ranges from as low as 40% to as high as 75%. If COVID acts like other viruses, it will much higher. Herd immunity for measles is 90%, and well over 80% for rubella, smallpox, and polio. It's hard to reach herd immunity for COVID if you don't know what it is.
    #2. the article states "...mandatory vaccination has proven effective in childhood immunization." That's an excellent point because society will generally do almost anything to protect children. However, the politicians in the U.S. took children out of the COVID equation, stating early on that children weren't vulnerable to COVID. Data has since proven them wrong. However, that genie is out of the bottle. If you make people think children are safe from COVID, you've essentially removed one of the most critical motivators for people to get immunized because honestly protecting the health of a bunch of old people isn't quite the same motivator.
    Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:53 PM.

Veteran Member

The specter of mandatory vaccination, no matter by what other name they want to call it, is beyond chilling.

Agree, the thought is chilling. As the article points out, there are a number of events that must happen, including ample supply of what will likely be a 2 or 3 dose vaccine, before the gov't can even think about a mandate. Also, it occurs to me that, given the global reach of this particular virus, a mandate in one country would not suffice. Given the virulence and continued mutation of COVID, a mandate would have to be almost worldwide in order to really be effective.

Veteran Member

And THAT is even more chilling.

I'm listening to the BBC right now and they're talking about this very topic. They mention that since the U.S. has withdrawn its membership in the WHO, they (we) are also not participating in COVAX. The inference would seem to be that since we aren't coordinating with the entire world, we could make our own rules. The fact that roughly half of the adult population would refuse the vaccine is, um, interesting.

ETA: Just in: China has joined COVAX but Russia still has not.
    Last edited by Islander; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:29 AM.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Given that the U.S. currently leads the world in positive COVID cases (approx. 8 million) and COVID deaths (approx. 213,000), it would behoove the U.S. to step up and take any and all actions to get on top of this pandemic, including rejoining WHO and participating in COVAX. Time to grow up and join the other adults in the room, IMHO.

Veteran Member

Why wouldn't a sovereign nation want to make its own rules instead of agreeing (quite possibly without even knowing ahead of time what they'd be agreeing to) to obey rules made by non-elected global institutions?

Excellent question, Pattypans. I think during a "worldwide pandemic" every good citizen of the world (every sovereign nation) should at least appear to want to be on the same page to make a "concerted effort" to squash this pandemic. As I mentioned before, no one country alone can defeat this virus. What apparently started in Wuhan China now affects 200 countries across the world. I don't think one country (the U.S.) can afford to go it alone.

Veteran Member

I respectfully disagree. And remember that fairly early on (late December, I think, but I'm not sure) the WHO continued to parrot China's affirmation that the virus didn't spread from person to person even after Taiwan affirmed to the WHO that indeed it does. Why would global politics be any cleaner or more honest than any one nation's politics?

Given a global threat like this pandemic, I'm inclined to think that a unified approach to developing a safe and effective vaccine will be better then a situation of "every man for himself." There is strength in unity, especially when we are all united in a common cause. However, given the state of politics in the US at this moment in time, I would absolutely be opposed to going it alone. Far too many science deniers and pretenders are pushing public policy in random and ill-advised directions. So much depends upon the coming election results. I would support a cooperative venture among nations to develop successful means toward herd immunity... I should add, short of a mandatory vaccine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattypans View Post
    I respectfully disagree...................Why would global politics be any cleaner or more honest than any one nation's politics?
    I respect your right to disagree. The one thing I've always liked about HH is there's no "group think" here. Everyone is entitled to her/his opinion without exception. You're correct about WHO being wrong. And, other countries have made mistakes and/or intentionally offered misleading info. IMHO, even with all the potential to be wrong, I think the world will be better off fighting COVID-19 in a combined effort, where countries can "check and balance" each others efforts. But, that's just my opinion.

I don't believe anyone needs to apologize for an opinion. We all have them and right or wrong, we are all entitled to them. All that's expected here is mutual respect, courtesy and civility as we discuss or defend them. Remember that three topics are off-limits here: religion, politics and conspiracy theories. Eliminating inflammatory comments makes it easier to maintain a respectful demeanor toward all... And thank you all for doing that.

This is a delicate issue. I am all in favor of combining efforts and creating consensus from a meeting of the best scientific minds, but the potential for coercion just is that much greater when multiple nations join forces. This is frightening enough in a large authoritarian nation such as the US; I am afraid it would be much more scary and intimidating if it were a world effort. I refer, of course, to the much discussed and proposed mandatory vaccination program. I have no valid answer, but human nature does seem to mitigate against pooling the intellectual resources without the power grab which always seems to accompany such efforts.
    Last edited by Maurya; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:17 PM.

If the past is prologue, the biggest problem will be the monopoly of countries where the vaccines are actually produced wanting the lion's share before the rest of the world. The leading vaccine makers are located in a handful of countries. In 2009 when the H1N1 vaccine became available, Australia and Canada, for example, coerced vaccine makers in their countries to fork over a portion of the vaccine before distributing to other countries. There's lots of money to be made from these vaccines, which makes equitable global distribution unlikely. Morgan Stanley analysts estimates that the vaccine market will range between $10 - $30 Billion through 2022, and then range between $2 - $25 Billion annually beginning in 2023. This suggests that the financial gains alone from these vaccines will be enough incentive for countries to compete, rather than cooperate. Read more about Morgan Stanley's estimate:
    https://www.investopedia.com/who-is-...e-race-4845441

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information