Thread: Obesity and COVID-19: A Renewed Call to Address A Growing Crisis

Default Obesity and COVID-19: A Renewed Call to Address A Growing Crisis

Christopher H. Herbst, et. al.
    September 21, 2020

Being obesed, defined as having a body mass index of over 30, increases the risk of premature death by almost 50%. It also doubles the risk of hospitalization from COVID-19 and could reduce the effectiveness of a COVID-19 vaccine.
    These are the central findings of a new study produced in part by the Saudi Health Council under the World Bank's Reimbursable Advisory Services Support (RAS) Program in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA) and recently published in Obesity Reviews.

Keep Reading: https://blogs.worldbank.org/health/o...growing-crisis

Default Re: Obesity and COVID-19: A Renewed Call to Address A Growing Crisis

I can't imagine how to successfully combat the growing trend toward obesity not only in the US but in many other parts of the world. Education in nutrition is certainly at the top of the list, but as long as it has to compete with the corporate push toward processed foods, it may never make much progress in influencing the public.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Of the many contributing factors to the obesity problem, I believe technology has played a major role. Despite numerous, overwhelming advantages of technological advances, studies show that it has decreased physical activity and helped to create a more sedentary lifestyle for us all, especially our teenagers. A WHO study that surveyed teenagers in 146 countries showed that almost 80 percent failed to get the recommended 1 hour of physical activity per day. A routine lack of daily physical activity/exercise most assuredly puts us all on the road to obesity, which sets the stage for numerous health problems.

Observing my Amish neighbors certainly puts the stamp of truth on your reference to our sedentary lifestyles, Mr. Wizard. About the only time the women are sedentary is when they are nursing an infant or sitting at the sewing machine!

Most of us eat too much, sit too long, and engage in an increasingly sedentary lifestyle. And, we're getting far too lazy, aided by our increasing infatuation with our technological toys!!

Restaurant portions only encourage these bad habits. I rarely ate out even before the pandemic, but when I did, it was affordable because I could get 2 and often three meals out of a single serving. Diners who order something with french fries receive a platter mounded with food, the biggest part of which is the cheapest thing on the menu… and they demolish that platter! Frankly, I would prefer a lower price and a smaller serving that I could consume in one sitting.

Thread Information