Thread: Why sleep experts say it's time to ditch daylight saving time

Default Why sleep experts say it's time to ditch daylight saving time

Michael S. Jaffee
    Oct. 29, 2020

For most of the U.S., the clock goes back one hour on Sunday morning, Nov. 1, the “fall back” for daylight saving time. Many of us appreciate the extra hour of sleep.

But for millions, that gain won’t counter the inadequate sleep they get the rest of the year. About 40% of adults – 50 to 70 million Americans – get less than the recommended minimum seven hours per night.

Continue reading at:
    https://www.chron.com/news/article/W...t-15681990.php

Veteran Member

Default Re: Why sleep experts say it's time to ditch daylight saving time

I confess I haven't read the article, but the last couple years here in Brazil, they've ditched the changing of the clocks, and I love it. It might seem like a small thing, but it makes a difference.

I guess it depends on the climate. We have had two referendums on introducing daylight saving in Western Australia, and both were rejected. It is hot here in summer, and parents with young children especially don't like the idea of trying to put kids to bed when it is still light and hot.

It was mostly companies that do business with the Eastern states that wanted it - we are behind them by two hours, and three in summer where they have daylight saving. On the other hand, when we lived in London many years ago, we loved it. It was so nice to be able to drive into the countryside after work, and sit outside an English pub with a drink and sandwich. After the first day adjusting, I don't recall any problems, and when the clocks were put back is was nice to get an extra hours sleep!

Quote Originally Posted by Julieanne View Post
    I guess it depends on the climate. We have had two referendums on introducing daylight saving in Western Australia, and both were rejected. It is hot here in summer, and parents with young children especially don't like the idea of trying to put kids to bed when it is still light and hot....
    AMEN! And the morning sun is quite cooler too.
    Last edited by grulla; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:59 AM.

We have no time changing here, but they do it on the mainland where our TV and radio programming originate, so all of our news and other shows now come on an hour later than usual. This will continue until next spring, when they will revert to Daylight Saving Time. What a load of bollocks! Just stick to whatever time it should be in each time zone and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattypans View Post
    I confess I haven't read the article, but the last couple years here in Brazil, they've ditched the changing of the clocks, and I love it. It might seem like a small thing, but it makes a difference.
    But which way did Brazil go; for year round daylight savings time, (DST) with later sunsets and later sunrise, or year round standard time (ST) with earlier sunsets and earlier sunrise???

That question is the major bone of contention here in the various U.S. States. I wrote some of my state reps asking them to do the common sense thing, and line NM up with NO-TIME-CHANGE Mountain Time Zone partner Arizona, but there are other state congress people, for whatever reason, that want to stay with year round DST...aaaargh! If it wasn't for that, we'd have done away with time change long ago, like AZ did back in the 60s.
    Last edited by grulla; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:34 AM.

Veteran Member

Hmm. I think we must've gone with year-round ST, but as dumb as this sounds, I'm not sure.

And I don't really care which way they go as long as they make a decision and stay with it. These constant changes are upsetting to livestock, pets and people!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    And I don't really care which way they go as long as they make a decision and stay with it. These constant changes are upsetting to livestock, pets and people!
    Since everyone seems to at least be in agreement to NOT change the clocks every spring and fall, so rather than argue and bicker over one hour semantics, why not simply have every one convert to a totally different time system and convert to 2400 military/world time. Then locally, everyone can choose whatever time they, (say), want local schools to open, but we will all be still "marching to the same drummer", the 2400 world clock.

In other words, simply eliminate any unnecessary clock variables and locally choose whatever 2400 time frame that's convenient for the particular area. So what if your child goes to school at between, say 1400 to 1900 hours, it's nothing more than just a convenient reference number for a particular area.

Veteran Member

I figured it out. We have year-round ST: earlier sunrises and earlier sunsets. People in Brazil use the military time jargon to refer to time. At first I had to subtract twelve to figure out an afternoon time, ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Pattypans View Post
    I figured it out. We have year-round ST: earlier sunrises and earlier sunsets. People in Brazil use the military time jargon to refer to time. At first I had to subtract twelve to figure out an afternoon time, ha!
    Sounds like Brazil has it's act together timewise. Now, if only, we could......

Thread Information