Thread: Meat-Free Diets Linked To Greater Risk Of Breaking Bones

Default Meat-Free Diets Linked To Greater Risk Of Breaking Bones

Clare Wilson
    November 23 2020

People who don’t eat meat are more at risk of breaking bones, especially their hips, according to the largest study yet of this risk. The effect may stem from a lack of calcium and protein in their diet, as well as the fact that they tend to be thinner and so have less flesh to cushion a fall.
    Several previous studies have shown that vegetarians have weaker bones than meat eaters, but it was unclear if this had any meaningful effect on their risk of fractures.
    The new research took advantage of a long-running study called EPIC-Oxford, originally set up to look at whether diet influences the risk of cancer by following the health of about 65,000 people in the UK from 1993 onwards.

Default Re: Meat-Free Diets Linked To Greater Risk Of Breaking Bones

Insufficient calcium doesn't persuade me, since calcium is so readily available, at least in the US diet. Of course, if vegetarians refused dairy products because of their bovine origin, perhaps I'm jumping to conclusions and they should be supplementing with calcium. But I would think that sufficient vitamin D and sufficient vitamin C, both of which Americans tend to test low on, would make the greatest difference of all. I do know at least two families that I've observed for over 20 years that seem to be in excellent health, probably because they are very knowledgeable and take great care to be well nourished. (I've also known obese vegetarians who think that lots of pasta will qualify them)!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Meat-Free Diets Linked To Greater Risk Of Breaking Bones

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Insufficient calcium doesn't persuade me, since calcium is so readily available, at least in the US diet. Of course, if vegetarians refused dairy products because of their bovine origin, perhaps I'm jumping to conclusions and they should be supplementing with calcium. But I would think that sufficient vitamin D and sufficient vitamin C, both of which Americans tend to test low on, would make the greatest difference of all. I do know at least two families that I've observed for over 20 years that seem to be in excellent health, probably because they are very knowledgeable and take great care to be well nourished. (I've also known obese vegetarians who think that lots of pasta will qualify them)!
    Agreed, especially since veggie greens are a source of calcium. According to Dr. Thomas Levy, consuming calcium supplements and dairy is bad news, as he lectures in his 75 minute video, "Death by Calcium".
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwi9iZvudXA

Thread Information