Thread: Oatmeal Is Still the World’s Best Performance Breakfast

Default Oatmeal Is Still the World’s Best Performance Breakfast

Wes Judd
    Nov. 27, 2020
    Sure, it’s old fashioned. But it’s also nutritional rocket fuel, and athletes are making it taste great. Here’s how.

In a world of green juice and chia seed pudding, this age-old dish is the original, and perhaps most powerful, superfood, especially for athletes competing at the highest levels.
    “I’ve asked a lot of elite endurance athletes about their breakfast foods, particularly before races, and oatmeal comes up again and again and again,” says Matt Fitzgerald, endurance coach, nutritionist, and author of The Endurance Diet.
    You’re most likely to see oatmeal served with a ton of fixin’s, but even a bowl of plain oats holds its own as a nutritional panacea. Oatmeal is a whole grain (unless you buy oat bran—just part of the seed—as opposed to rolled oats) filled with key vitamins and minerals, a low-glycemic carb that provides lasting energy for your workout and helps fuel recovery without causing a sugar crash, and high in fiber to aid your digestive and metabolic systems.
    But a bowl of oats is also a big blank canvas, ready to be combined with a truckload of other high-quality, nutritious ingredients that make it even better training food. “That’s one of oatmeal’s great virtues. You can take it in so many directions,” says Fitzgerald.

Read on for some great recipes: https://getpocket.com/explore/item/o...ance-breakfast
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Oatmeal Is Still the World’s Best Performance Breakfast

Ahh, oats, one of my recent favorite subjects. I have summed up my WHOLE OAT GROAT preparation since I last discussed this subject in post #27 of the HH thread https://www.hawkeshealth.net/communi...ghlight=groats

My updated WHOLE OAT GROATS (not crimped, rolled, or even steel cut oats) preparation for a week's supply is to first soak three (or whatever amount) cups of groats submerged in water with some apple cider vinegar for 24 hours to help eliminate any phytic acid and saponins, followed by a thorough cold water rinse.

Next, just one cup of water is added for each cup of soaked groats in a pot, with some organic diced apple, and simply brought to a boil. Keeping the water to grain ratio low at just one to one helps keep the large batch nuttier and crunchy longer with less possibility of turning into starchy paste over time in the fridge.

Once the groats start to boil, the heat is immediately turned off and the boiled groats stay in the pot to slowly cool down for 24 hours. When the batch is cooled to near room temperature, I cool it the rest of the way in the fridge, and serve it the following day with cassia free Ceylon cinnamon, butter or ghee, and a few dried TART cherries. Or one could also add a little real organic Maple syrup. The above groats obviously don't lend themselves for people in a rush, hence the idea of preparing a large size to last a week or so, and without sacrificing nutrition with store bought instant oats.

Earlier this past year, I did some experimenting and figured out that the WHOLE oat groat prep. can also equally apply to WHOLE groat buckwheat, WHOLE groat barley, as well as whole quinoa, (and perhaps some other WHOLE GROAT grains as well). One size (prep recipe) fits all, and nutrition is well maintained with nutty/crunchy results.
    Last edited by grulla; 11-30-20 at 08:22 PM.

Since not everyone has Grulla's time and patience, I'm going to append my method for preparing rolled oats (I don't have the patience for groats). Everything's organic, naturally.

Bring 1/3 C. rolled oats and 2/3 C. water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add a dash of salt, cover, lower the heat and simmer for 3-5 minutes. Voila: oatmeal!
    Like the link I've appended in the OP, I like to gussy up my rolled oats with something interesting. One choice is chopped nuts and a splash of maple syrup. Or I melt a tablespoon of butter or coconut oil in the oats and add 1/4 C. of blueberries or raspberries. Since my berries come out of the freezer, they bring the whole hot mess instantly down to dining temperature and of course I eat them right out of the pan. Why yes, I am a barbarian!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Since not everyone has Grulla's time and patience, I'm going to append my method for preparing rolled oats (I don't have the patience for groats). Everything's organic, naturally.
    I guess I should have emphasized that "PLANNING AHEAD" by preparing a large batch of WHOLE groats for a week's + supply should overcome any "time and patience" issues in the long run. And when I see the groat batch nearing the end, I start the afore described procedure all over again so I don't run out. And it's all easy peasy.

And another thing, if you live near a grain and feed store that carries organic grains, such as WHOLE OAT GROATS, you could probably purchase the groats in either a 50 or 25 lb sack to be kept in an adequate sized chest freezer which will not only help to keep the groats fresh, but also kill off any mites in the process, for your prepper food storage in case of bad times. You can't get much better "bang for the buck" in nutritional value and survival than from WHOLE oat groats.
    Last edited by grulla; 12-01-20 at 07:02 PM.

Thread Information