Thread: Are People Healthy Enough To Retire Later?

Default Are People Healthy Enough To Retire Later?

International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis
    December 7 2020

While many people are now enjoying longer, healthier lives, current retirement ages are posing challenges for both policymakers and retirees. A new study looked into whether there is potential to increase the retirement age based on the relationship between working life expectancy and health aspects important for work ability for women and men in Europe.

Life expectancy has steadily been increasing in many countries around the world due to, among others, advances in healthcare and people adopting healthier lifestyles. At the same time, fertility has been declining or stabilized at low levels, leading to a marked increase in the share of older adults in these populations.

Read more: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1207102057.htm

Default Re: Are People Healthy Enough To Retire Later?

Or one might ask, "Are people healthy(ier) because they retire(d) later?"
    Last edited by grulla; 12-08-20 at 09:47 AM.

Two thoughts. Currently, in the U.S. the full benefit age is 66 years and 2 months for people born in 1955, and it will gradually rise to 67 for those born in 1960 or later. Early retirement benefits will continue to be available at age 62, but they will be reduced more. I would think that aside from age and health, people who love their job are more likely to want to continue working well past the expected retirement age. I think we can all name some well-known people who have done just that. I certainly would have done so had the governor not interfere and laid down restrictions that prevented me from doing the work the way it should be done. But I'm also sure there are probably millions of people who have been doing the same monotonous, routine job for much of their adult lives and are looking forward to the day when they can kick back, quit work, and go fishing… Or just lie in a recliner and watch television.

My second question reflects the percent of the older population that are dying of COVID-19. I just wonder how large that is, and to what degree it might impact retirement benefits for survivors going forward.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Same is happening in Oz - age gradually going up, could eventually get to 70. But there are many physically demanding jobs like construction work that would be difficult to continue beyond a certain age. I don't know how that might work.

Thread Information