Thread: Weighted Blankets: Do They Work?

Default Weighted Blankets: Do They Work?

Eleesha Lockett
    August 29 201

For many people, weighted blankets have become a routine part of stress relief and healthy sleep habits, and for good reason. Research suggests weighted blankets may benefit people with anxiety, autism, and insomnia, among other conditions.
    Let’s explore how weighted blankets work as well as the benefits and risks of using these therapeutic blankets.

What are the benefits of using a weighted blanket?

Weighted blankets are therapeutic blankets that weigh between 5 to 30 pounds. The pressure from the extra weight mimics a therapeutic technique called deep pressure stimulation.

Read more: https://www.healthline.com/health/an...-blankets-work
    Last edited by Julieanne; 12-09-20 at 12:42 PM.

Default Re: Weighted Blankets: Do They Work?

Since childhood I have slept much better under a heavy quilt. I think something heavy, like a weighted blanket that surrounds your body, is super relaxing and reassuring. Temple Grandin, the woman who has written extensively about autism and who made a thriving career out of her condition, once made a pressure bed for herself. I'd call it a precursor to the weighted blanket because once she got inside it, at a press of a button it would gently surround and hold her body in a light pressure that she found marvelously comforting.
    Until I read this article I would have been unable to tell you anything I wanted for Christmas!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

But do they get hot when used in summer?

My idea of a weighted blanket, just like "Islander", is also a quilt. However my idea of a 'quilt' is an unzipped-unfolded, rectangular, low temperature, cold weather, well insulated sleeping bag, (not a 'mummy' bag), that has the same uniform fabric on both sides when unfolded as a 'quilt'.

My late wife came up with that idea many years ago, and I still use that sleeping bag 'quilt' to this day, and even have a brand new spare stored away. I might add that a top sheet, and also an ornamental top blanket, and wearing a 'tuki' for a night cap, add much to the warmth and comfort of that 'quilt', just like wearing multi-layered outdoor garments for cold weather. And in warm weather, I simply fold back the quilt and toss the tuki.
    Last edited by grulla; 12-11-20 at 12:12 PM.

Julie, I ordered one once, from Amazon I think, but not in summer so I can't comment about the heat. This blanket was heavy of course, solid and rather unwieldy. It didn't have the effect I was hoping for and it was so cumbersome that I forced it back into the box it came in and returned it for a refund. Since then I have seen others advertised at reasonable prices, at least one of which looks like it was loosely crocheted... So that while the weight held it close to your body, there were air spaces where fresh air could circulate, or at least that's what it appeared like to me. When I become rich and famous, I may try again.

I like the sound of the one with air spaces - maybe I will look for one online. Still time for buying Christmas presents! My son is not too good at choosing presents, and much prefers me to send him a 'wish list'.

I approve of the wish list! Too often people want to gift us with stuff, when we already have too much stuff and may even be in the process of trying to downsize from all our stuff. A gift we really want or need, or a gift of an experience — theatre tickets or a restaurant gift card, that sort of thing, is a better choice.

Thread Information