Thread: Looking for some pandemic advice

Default Looking for some pandemic advice

With this pandemic still threatening us, how are you dealing with anxiety, loneliness etc? Do you do some exercise? Yoga? Do you immerse yourself to reading some books or articles online? Or perhaps, found a little hobby that's keeping you busy most of the time?

I personally do exercise every other day and it really helped alot, but with Christmas coming, I feel lonely again as my parents are away doing their own isolation since Mom is vulnerable to this virus. I miss them especially this season but I can't take the risk. A kindly advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Last edited by Islander; 12-15-20 at 04:42 PM.

Default Re: Looking for some pandemic advice

No advice, but from me some empathy. As a mostly retired part time dog walker, I have very little contact with humans on a daily basis. I do try to keep up with my weight training and other exercise, just in case there might be life on the other side of this mess. I have my dog to keep me busy, as well as the other dogs for whom I take care. We have the beach, which changes daily, in terms of just watching nature, the waves, the seaweed or lack thereof, the pelicans, the dogs playing. I read books, and always have a few books which I have not yet read from which to choose whenever I finish one of them. On our island, all the usual holiday events and activities have been cancelled, so at least all of us are in the same boat.
    Last edited by Islander; 12-15-20 at 04:43 PM.

Under lockdown, I too am relatively isolated but it doesn't affect me as much as it does others, for several reasons. I've been retired for 15 years so the work I have chosen to do in that time, actively farming and gardening, has kept me busy right here at home. Adding to that isolation is that I'll be 80 in a couple of months and most of my closest friends are dead. The nearest friend is at least a 20-minute drive away and some friends are over an hour's drive (I live in a very rural area), and since most of us farm or garden or both, to some extent, everyone's busy in the summer and fall.<br>I do connect with faraway friends via phone calls and Facebook FaceTime (video, for those who aren't on Facebook). Recently my family, consisting of four children and their spouses and grandchildren, have connected via Zoom. One of us has a great game that we can all participate in via zoom and we are going to try that next weekend... So all things considered, this pandemic has not had a severe impact on my life. I should add that I don't have a television, by choice, but I do love to read and any spare time is devoted to the fiction or nonfiction books I have on hand at the moment.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Under lockdown, I too am relatively isolated but it doesn't affect me as much as it does others..........
    Same here, as living on acreage within the edge of a forest wilderness with livestock perimeter fencing and padlocked gates, I have always led a "quarantined" lifestyle.

And that also applies to my lifelong autistic disabled SIL as well, (who NM social services and SS recognize me as her care provider), lives next door in her late mother's (MIL's) mobile home on the same tract of land, 800' away from my own abode.
    Last edited by grulla; 12-16-20 at 12:25 PM.

Hi all,

Thank you for sharing your own experience during this pandemic, it's nice to know how people from far away land are doing their own way of coping to this situation and still find beauty and peace around them even with all that's happening around. This gave me comfy thoughts that I'm not alone or this is a kind of situation that many people have been struggling or have struggled with and still come out victorious. That what matters is it's how you see things in a way that will still let you look at the brighter side of everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Under lockdown, I too am relatively isolated but it doesn't affect me as much as it does others, for several reasons...
    Your story is very inspiring to me Islander, I hope and pray that I can live that long and still able to mind doing some farming and gardening. I wish you more life and a stronger health for the years to come.

Merry Christmas to you all!
    Last edited by Islander; 12-18-20 at 10:51 AM.

Thank you, BandsAiud, and a happy holiday to you and yours!

You're welcome. I'll just stop by and leave this article here that I've stumbled upon looking for some ways to cope with anxiety, stress etc during this pandemic and I hope that to anyone who reads this that he/she will find some good advice too as I have did. Thank you! https://www.helpguide.org/articles/a...us-anxiety.htm

1 more day to go, Merry Christmas!

I wish you all had a fun Christmas this year. As far as we feeling lonely during these holidays, let's try to video or telephone chat as much as possible with our loved ones, and within that discussion try to reminisce about Christmasses past when we were happy. Try finding gratitude that we are alive and well and so are our loved ones.

It always helps me to hold my kitty when I am feeling down or anxious. She senses that need and stays with me on that. It also helps me to binge on a television series. I am now re-watching Bosch for the second time on Amazon Prime Video. Fantastic 6-season series. Music, sending Christmas cards to others. Volunteer in a worthwhile charity.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

I wish to get a pup someday so I can have a lively furball in my place, maybe that's all I need to divert my mind away from bad feelings. Happy New Year everyone!

You should get one, but make sure you did your research first before deciding to get one. Pets have feelings too so you better be up to the task on making sure they are well cared and loved before having one. Btw, how are you doing now? It's almost the end of the year, I hope you can celebrate with your parents again even just in face time on this important day!

Quote Originally Posted by Havanana View Post
    You should get one, but make sure you did your research first before deciding to get one. Pets have feelings too so you better be up to the task on making sure they are well cared and loved before having one. Btw, how are you doing now? It's almost the end of the year, I hope you can celebrate with your parents again even just in face time on this important day!
    Really appreciate your concern, I do managed to have fun this New Year's eve! My whole night was facetiming with my parents while celebrating the New Year on my friend's place. How about you? I hope you also had a great New Year with your family or friends.

We did a big family Zoom meeting. So thankful for technology!

When you start to feel sorry for yourself and feel the buildup of anxiety, try to acknowledge and know the difference between your emotions and your actual reality(rational mind). Meditate and try not to let your emotions overwhelm you. Nothing is permanent, pain is not permanent, being down is not permanent. Challenges always makes us a better/wiser person after the storm has passed.

Besides meditating, my way of coping is by looking at how other people around me are doing and reflect. Sometimes I think my situation is bad, but there will always be others who are at a worse situation than me and need my help. So as much as we can, try to extend our helping hand to someone who needs it. It always lift up my spirits when I lift others up.

Your thoughts are very inspirational, man. Thank you. I've realized that sometimes, one of the benefits of thinking of others is that it stops us from thinking too much about ourselves.

Thread Information