Thread: If Everyone Ate Beans Instead Of Beef

Default If Everyone Ate Beans Instead Of Beef

James Hamblin
    August 2, 2017

With one dietary change, the U.S. could almost meet greenhouse-gas emission goals.

Ecoanxiety is an emerging condition. Named in 2011, the American Psychological Association recently described it as the dread and helplessness that come with “watching the slow and seemingly irrevocable impacts of climate change unfold, and worrying about the future for oneself, children, and later generations.”

It’s not a formal diagnosis. Anxiety is traditionally defined by an outsized stress response to a given stimulus. In this case, the stimulus is real, as are the deleterious effects of stress on the body.

Read more: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...f-beef/535536/
    Last edited by Julieanne; 12-21-20 at 08:18 AM.

Default Re: If Everyone Ate Beans Instead Of Beef

So essentially, the author has suggested that humans should eat the beans and pass the methane, instead of the cows passing the methane. And I guess the author hasn't heard of grass fed cows.

In as much as I enjoy various beans, the beans mentioned in the article are soybeans, a crop many of us health nuts and advocates have read much about, that is far from being healthy, unless of course the soybeans are BOTH grown organically AND fermented, as some traditional Asian people practice and prepare.
    https://healthwyze.org/reports/205-s...an-consumption
    https://www.nutritionadvance.com/fer...-soy-products/
    Last edited by grulla; 12-21-20 at 04:26 PM.

I knew someone would mention grass-fed beef! But how many have access to this, or can afford it? It's a luxury for many, including me. Conventional beef is expensive, and organically-grown way beyond my means. Is it possible to feed the world grass-fed beef? Is there enough land that will grow grass for cattle?

As for methane, human stomachs are different. Beans never give me gas, despite all those jokes - maybe because I take probiotics? (Same for Jerusalem artichokes, which are notorious for causing excess gas - they don't affect me). I have tried a couple of new meat substitutes recently, out of curiosity, and they were remarkably meat-like - and no GM ingredients.

Here on the island we have Senepol beef cattle, which have been bred to thrive in our tropical climate. They are delicious, and not expensive at all, especially if one buys ground beef. These cows eat only grass (certain types, which have been explained to me, but which explanation I cannot recreate here). I have no idea why anyone would buy and eat the expensive imported CAFO beef which is available in the supermarkets.

Like Julie, beans and sunchokes don't bother me at all. I have to smile when I read anything about grass fed beef since there really is no other kind; grass is what cattle and their cousins, buffalo, evolved on. What supermarkets feature, CAFO beef, is "finished" on corn, which fattens them quickly prior to slaughter. Cattle finished on grass will be equally fat and tasty; it merely takes longer. Remember, it's the fat that gives beef its flavor. You can recognize a well-finished steak by the amount of marbling, or fat striations, throughout.

I should add that grass finished beef is not particularly expensive here in Maine. It's certainly cheaper than supermarket beef, because you're buying direct from the grower, the small farmers in your locale — no middleman involved!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information