Thread: Hi

Default Hi

My name is James(well that's my preferred name, but that's another story for another time) and I am 41 years old. I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes in January 2006. So I've been living with diabetes for 15 years now.

While I've had diabetes for a while now, I still struggle with it a lot (more than ever, actually...), and am hoping I can learn some things during my time here.

I look forward to meeting all of you!

Default Re: Hi

Welcome to HH James. I hope you find information that will help you here. Are you on medication, or trying to deal with diabetes naturally?

Thank you Julieanne! I sure hope to, and yes I'm taking medications. Just to share here what I have been using. I have a Paradigm pump so all of the sets I've used have been Minimed's with the proprietary connection. Started with Quick-Sets. Worked great for the first few months and then I started getting one bent cannula after another. I tried with and without the Serter. I tried inserting sitting down, and standing up, Nothing worked.

At the same time I was using Quick-Sets I also got some Sof-Sets. They go straight in like the Quick-Sets but don't have any built-in adhesive, so they needed to be taped down with IV3000, Tegaderm etc. The sets came with two pieces of tape with holes cut out in the middle to fit over the hub. I liked that the set was very flat, which was possible because the tubing doesn't connect right at the site. Instead, it disconnects along the tubing, about 4" away from the site. I had fewer problems with these than with Quick-Sets, but having to tape them down was very annoying.

I then switched to the Silhouettes, which scared the heck out of me when I first saw them. Even scarier was the Serter device. I dreaded every site change, especially when my Serter jammed. One day I got brave and did it manually, and it was horrible. Went back to the Serter, then got brave again. After the second manual insertion I forgot all about the Serter.

While using the Sils I also tried the Sure-Ts, the ones with the tiny metal cannula. I liked the idea of them more than I actually liked using them. I didn't care for the two adhesive pads. The site was very flat, flatter than the Sof-Set, because the connection/hub is separate, connected to the cannula by a short length of tubing. So you have the cannula stuck down, then the tubing, then another adhesive pad with the connector. I liked that it was the same connector as the Silhouettes, which meant I could switch between the sets without changing my tubing. I like that when I put the set in and it hurt, I could peel it up and stick it somewhere else (since it's metal), but I also had to tape it down after moving it because the built-in adhesive no longer stuck.

Now I use the shorter, 13mm Silhouettes. They work great for me, no kinks, and in over a year of using Sils I've had only two sets that I had to remove due to problems and one of those was because I inserted it in a really bad area. I find them to be extremely comfortable and insertion really isn't a big deal, especially with the shorter cannula. I love that I can use my upper abdomen, where there isn't as much fat as other areas. Even before I lost weight and had a lot more padding up there, the 90° sets hurt too much to insert above my waist. Sorry for the long post. But I feel like I wanted to share here my incredible journey with these meds.

Welcome to the HH forum James!

Hello and welcome, James! Although I'm the admin, a glance at the What's New page will demonstrate that I haven't been here often in the recent past. If you're in the US (it sounds like it but it's hard to be sure, and there's no info about you in your profile yet), you might understand that we've all been swept up in post-election chaos here, and growing alarm from rumors of more planned uprisings in every state capitol as we approach inauguration day next Wednesday.

First, I encourage you to read the introductory material to the site including the "Rules of the Road." There aren't many but we do take them seriously.

Second, I am a type two diabetic, diagnosed about 13 years ago, so while I can commiserate with you, I can't advise you since your lifestyle is completely alien to me. I had to Google the system you're using for insulin delivery; for those who are equally unfamiliar, I offer this overview:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimed_Paradigm
    I feel fortunate that I have no need for insulin or in fact, any medication. I refused medication from the outset, determined to bring my condition under control through lifestyle changes, primarily diet and exercise. With these tools I lowered my A1c from 8.9 to 4.6. I'm now gently experimenting with adding a few extra carbs, like occasional rice or quinoa. I get checked by my doctor every six months but I long-ago got out of the habit of measuring my BG daily. I seem to have settled into a regimen that's working so I don't bother keeping records.

I hope your story will bring out feedback from other members or even visitors, who are also type one diabetics. Hello, anybody out there??
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurya View Post
    Welcome to the HH forum James!
    Hi, thank you Maurya!

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Hello and welcome, James! Although I'm the admin, a glance at the What's New page will demonstrate that I haven't been here often in the recent past. If you're in the US (it sounds like it but it's hard to be sure, and there's no info about you in your profile yet), you might understand that we've all been swept up in post-election chaos here, and growing alarm from rumors of more planned uprisings in every state capitol as we approach inauguration day next Wednesday.

First, I encourage you to read the introductory material to the site including the "Rules of the Road." There aren't many but we do take them seriously.

Second, I am a type two diabetic, diagnosed about 13 years ago, so while I can commiserate with you, I can't advise you since your lifestyle is completely alien to me. I had to Google the system you're using for insulin delivery; for those who are equally unfamiliar, I offer this overview:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimed_Paradigm
    I feel fortunate that I have no need for insulin or in fact, any medication. I refused medication from the outset, determined to bring my condition under control through lifestyle changes, primarily diet and exercise. With these tools I lowered my A1c from 8.9 to 4.6. I'm now gently experimenting with adding a few extra carbs, like occasional rice or quinoa. I get checked by my doctor every six months but I long-ago got out of the habit of measuring my BG daily. I seem to have settled into a regimen that's working so I don't bother keeping records.

I hope your story will bring out feedback from other members or even visitors, who are also type one diabetics. Hello, anybody out there??
    Thank you and no worries. Well, I wish someone here with T1 could share their experience too but I've read in a post here about your journey fighting T2, I'm really surprised how your diet brought you to the point that you don't need insulin anymore! I'm still working with my diet to healthy living, I wish someday I won't need insulin anymore too.

Edit: Btw I'm from Miami, and everything here that relates with this Covid is going haywire here, still not convinced how good is the vaccine is too. Will take my time to read the rules here, thank you.
    Last edited by Swhealth; 01-18-21 at 04:19 AM.

James, I never used insulin. I was on Metformin for 3 months, and when I wanted to d/c it, the doc said, Sure. No meds, just diet and exercise. I have little patience with people who cannot control their cravings for sugar and sacrifice a foot, a leg, a kidney...

"Florida Man"? You have my sympathy.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Oh wow! That's to be honest, surprising to know but your very fortunate to not have use insulin for even once.

I'm sure to myself that I'm not one of them you speak of. But I do feel that there's still space for improvement on my diet and exercise that I felt saying that I still working on it. And I have not lost any parts of my body yet, and don't want to think it ever happening to me. No need for sympathy Islander!

Thread Information