Thread: What Is Colitis?

Default What Is Colitis?

Helen Millar
    January 28 2021

Colitis refers to the inflammation of the lining of the colon. Many different conditions can cause this to happen.

The most common type of colitis is ulcerative colitis. With this type, ulcers or sores develop in the stomach. The inflammation extends from the rectum along the inner lining of the colon.
    Types and causes of colitis may differ, but most symptoms overlap. How the condition affects an individual varies from person to person.
    This article will discuss the different types of colitis. It will also look at the causes and risk factors, as well as when to contact a doctor.

Read more: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...740408e9475469

Default Re: What Is Colitis?

I had colitis not long after having a hip replacement three years ago. It was probably Pseudomembranous colitis, though it wasn't named at the time.

From the article: 'Pseudomembranous colitis is usually the result of Clostridium difficile bacteria.
    These bacteria are always present in the body, but there are usually enough “good” bacteria to override them.
    When these good bacteria die, often after a person has taken antibiotics, the presence of C. difficile increases, causing inflammation in the colon.

Cause: Pseudomembranous colitis can occur due to taking medications that destroy healthy bacteria, such as antibiotics.'

My doctor felt it was due to too many medications in hospital, and could only recommend a bland diet. I did some research and decided on a low fibre diet, recommended for people after colon surgery. I also took Slippery elm tablets before each meal. It was not especially nutritious - lots of white food - but I was over it in about two months. It didn't have to be bland, as I found I could eat curry with no problems, as long as the vegetables weren't high in fibre. I had been told it could last up to 12 months, or I could even always have it. Thank heavens for the internet and natural medicine!

This diet probably would not cure ulcerative colitis, a much more serious disease, though it might help a little.
    Last edited by Julieanne; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:39 AM.

Thread Information