Thread: What Are The Symptoms Of Too Much Vitamin D?

Default What Are The Symptoms Of Too Much Vitamin D?

Kendra Cherry
    February 23 2021

Vitamin D is a key nutrient that helps your body absorb calcium to help build strong bones. It’s also important for your immune system, nervous system, and muscles. A deficiency in this vitamin has also been linked to mental illnesses such as depression and seasonal affective disorder (SAD).
    While a deficiency of this nutrient is a very common problem, it’s also possible to have too much vitamin D. Too much vitamin D, also known as vitamin D toxicity or hypervitaminosis D, can pose a number of serious health risks.

Read more: https://www.verywellmind.com/symptom...amin-d-5105134

Default Re: What Are The Symptoms Of Too Much Vitamin D?

I do have some of these symptoms and have been wondering why. I have been taking 5000iu vitamin D for some time, but cut down to every second day after reading this. We have very strong sunshine in summer, but I don't spend a lot of time in the sun - it's just too hot. I do what I need to do outside in the early morning or late afternoon. I will try and remember to check my symptoms in the next few weeks. It might be a good idea to get a test.

Corrected my mistake - 5000iu, not 500
    Last edited by Julieanne; 03-03-21 at 01:13 PM.

Default Re: What Are The Symptoms Of Too Much Vitamin D?

I would challenge every one of the assertions in this article. Virtually everyone who isn't particularly health-conscious — and that's most of us — are deficient in both magnesium and vitamin D, so it is particularly surprising to find a cautionary article on overdosing. Further, it is practically impossible to overdose on vitamin D. It can't happen in sunshine, because the body regulates the absorption of UV rays. It can happen with supplementation, primarily because medical personnel with the best of intentions will encourage the use of vitamin D without understanding that as a hormone rather than a simple vitamin, it requires cofactors in order to be consumed safely, including magnesium and vitamin K with ultra K7. The omission of vitamin K in particular can result in an excess of calcium, hypercalcemia. When teeth and bones have absorbed all the calcium they need, the excess will be deposited in soft tissue, causing critical multisystem malfunction. Conclusion: it is not an overdose of vitamin D that is problematic, it's the excess vitamin D without its balanced cofactors.

The FDA with its distorted dietary recommendations puts the upper limit of vitamin D supplementation at 600 IUs. Like so many FDA recommendations, this one is absurd. Experts in the study and research of vitamin D put the daily recommended limit at 8000 IUs. Even articles that are less well researched will put the maximum tolerable limit at 4000 for adults. The appropriate amount will vary with the individual depending on age, obesity and other factors. I take about 10,000 IUs a day and a recent test showed me at 82 ng/mL, which my doctor labeled as ideal!

How much supplementation is too much? Overdosing would require intakes higher than 40,000 IU/day, or a serum level of 25-hydroxy above 500-600 ng/mL, and usually includes excessive amounts of calcium as well. Older recommendations for calcium suggest a 1200 mg dose daily, but current thinking is that most of us receive an adequate intake through dietary sources like milk, cream, yogurt, cheese and dark green leafy vegetables.

As for the symptoms of excess vitamin D, every one listed in the article may have multiple causes and one, tinnitus, is primarily a result of simple aging. Julieanne, I agree that it would be wise for you to get a hydroxyvitamin D test, but I think you'll find that too much vitamin D is not the cause of any of your symptoms.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information