Thread: Essential Role Of Magnesium, Signs Of Deficiency, Magnesium-Rich Foods

Default Essential Role Of Magnesium, Signs Of Deficiency, Magnesium-Rich Foods

Brian Vaszily
    March 10 2021

The role of magnesium in the body is a vital one. It’s been overlooked in past years as the attention has been on other nutrients like vitamin C, vitamin D, and calcium.
    However, research has made quite clear just how important magnesium is for your health. It’s involved in over 600 different enzymatic reactions in your body and is needed for the absorption and utilization of other important nutrients.
    A lack of magnesium is linked to conditions like metabolic disease, depression, and insomnia.
    Here’s a closer look at what magnesium does, how to tell if you’re deficient, and the top magnesium foods to boost your intake.

Read more: https://theartofantiaging.com/role-o...paign=03102021

Veteran Member

Default Re: Essential Role Of Magnesium, Signs Of Deficiency, Magnesium-Rich Foods

Thanks for this, Julieanne. I've been wondering how much magnesium I should take, but couldn't find that info anywhere. According to the article, I haven't been taking enough. Good to know, as the form I take is not at all expensive.

Does anybody know if it's ok to take magnesium and boron together? I haven't been, but it would be more convenient if I did.

Default Re: Essential Role Of Magnesium, Signs Of Deficiency, Magnesium-Rich Foods

Patty, dosage can be confusing. My magnesium says 500mcg, but is actually only 100mcg essential magnesium. Check the label on the one you are using.

Equally important is the kind of magnesium you choose. There are 10 different forms of this mineral and each of them has a different level of bioavailability and effect on the human body and its emotions. My choice is magnesium glycinate because it best meets my needs. Maurya has mentioned that she prefers a different one though I can't remember which one it is. Here's a helpful guide to review the different types and decide which one's right for you. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/magnesium-types
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

This was a pretty good article on the differing forms of magnesium. All elemental magnesium exists in a form bound to some other element. I have a few small quibbles with the article. The common phrase about "needing more research" is a quick cop out. All living beings need magnesium to stay alive and to stay healthy. We don't need further research about this one; what we need are more people who understand the necessity for this essential mineral. As well, there are preferred times of day for the differing forms of Mg. For example, I prefer Mg Malate earlier in the day, with Mg Glycinate throughout the day, and Mg Threonate at night time. One should check the ingredients carefully in a multi vitamin and mineral supplement. Frequently they include only tiny amounts of Mg in a less well absorbable form, just so that they can put the word Magnesium on the label. Not worth it. Educating oneself is a wonderful thing.

Thread Information