Thread: Time To Make Nature Studies A Compulsory School Subject - Before It's Too Late

Default Time To Make Nature Studies A Compulsory School Subject - Before It's Too Late

Matthew Adams
    March 20 2021

The UK government is reported to be seriously considering making “nature studies” a compulsory subject for all pupils. It’s a move that was recommended in the recent government-commissioned Dasgupta review, a detailed analysis of the “economics of biodiversity”.
    The review is long and technical, but in among the tables and statistics, there are some radical suggestions that go beyond a focus on economics alone, recommendations designed to transform our relationship with the natural world before it is too late. Among options for rethinking supply chains, measures of economic progress and financial regulation, right at the end is a brief focus on education:

Read more: https://theconversation.com/time-to-...oo-late-157491

Default Re: Time To Make Nature Studies A Compulsory School Subject - Before It's Too Late

I don't know about the UK, but at one time U.S. students studied a course called Civics, in which they learned about the Constitution and how our government works. That course was long ago replaced by something called "social studies." I've no idea what that's comprised of, but I think we seriously need to return to a civics course that would educate future voters about how democracy works. Our current ignorance in this area is profound.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Time To Make Nature Studies A Compulsory School Subject - Before It's Too Late

I went to school in England, and loved nature studies. We did various little projects in the classroom, and I remember going on long country walks at some point. There needs to be more connection between people who live in cities and the natural world, and education about how much we depend on it.

Thread Information