Thread: Australian Scientists Achieve Breakthrough With Renewably Powered Carbon Capture

Default Australian Scientists Achieve Breakthrough With Renewably Powered Carbon Capture

Blake Matich
    March 30 2021

Australian scientists have achieved a new breakthrough in carbon capture and storage. Their novel electrochemical process can store carbon dioxide in water with the power of solar or wind, while also producing by-products such as green hydrogen and calcium carbonate – perhaps the key to decarbonizing the cement industry.

Researchers from the Queensland University of Technology have made a remarkable breakthrough with the development of an electrochemical process in which carbon dioxide is captured from the air and stored in water as a non-toxic calcium carbonate (chalk) in a renewably powered process that could also produce green hydrogen and decarbonize the cement industry.

Read more: https://www.pv-magazine.com/2021/03/30/australian-scientists-remarkable-renewably-powered-carbon-capture-breakthrough/

Last edited by Julieanne; 04-02-21 at 02:09 AM.

Default Re: Australian Scientists Achieve Breakthrough With Renewably Powered Carbon Capture

I get it, it would mostly benefited the cement industry, but I what I don't get is how exactly. (Not a science buff)

Default Re: Australian Scientists Achieve Breakthrough With Renewably Powered Carbon Capture

The cement is a bonus - the environment is the biggest winner. Not only does it remove carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, it turns it into a useful product. This project has so many beneficial aspects it's a win/win all round. I'm no science buff either, but I find this quite exciting.
    Last edited by Julieanne; 04-07-21 at 06:48 AM.

Thread Information