Thread: Biden, companies working to develop ‘vaccine passports.’ It won’t be easy

Default Biden, companies working to develop ‘vaccine passports.’ It won’t be easy

Dan Diamond, Lena H. Sun, Isaac Stanley-Becker
    March 28, 2021

The passports are expected to be free and available through smartphone apps, which could display a scannable code similar to an airline boarding pass

The Biden administration and private companies are working to develop a standard way of handling credentials - often referred to as “vaccine passports” - that would allow Americans to prove they have been vaccinated against the novel coronavirus as businesses try to reopen.
    The effort has gained momentum amid President Joe Biden’s pledge that the nation will start to regain normalcy this summer and with a growing number of companies - from cruise lines to sports teams - saying they will require proof of vaccination before opening their doors again.

Continue reading: https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...t-wont-be-easy
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Veteran Member

Default Re: Biden, companies working to develop ‘vaccine passports.’ It won’t be easy

This is a nightmare, no matter what they decide to call them. (The name is all about public perception, anyway.) The government would love to let private corporations take the responsibility (blame) for what would probably end up de facto mandatory for anyone wishing to be 'allowed' to return to normal life.
    Last edited by Pattypans; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:45 PM. Reason: correct typo

Default Re: Biden, companies working to develop ‘vaccine passports.’ It won’t be easy

Quote Originally Posted by Pattypans View Post
    The government would love to let private corporations take them responsibility (blame) for what would probably end up de facto mandatory for anyone wishing to be 'allowed' to return to normal life.
    Isn't this pretty much the essence of fascism, the marriage of government with the large corporations? Where I live, unless one owns a large seagoing vessel, the only way to travel is to board a commercial plane. Once the airlines have their "vaccine passport" procedures firmly in place, I will be located here on this small island in perpetuity. That's fine with me, as I had no plans to go anywhere anyway, but in the future something might come up which would require my presence on the mainland, and I will be SOL.

Veteran Member

I hear you, Maurya. I've lived on islands before (including St. Croix for a fairly short time, where my kids fed a baby bull from a bottle), and that's one of the things that I now find sort of scary about island living.

White House press secretary Jen Psaki on Tuesday ruled out the Biden administration's playing any role in a "vaccine passport" system as Republican governors in particular balk at the concept.
    "The government is not now, nor will we be supporting a system that requires Americans to carry a credential. There will be no federal vaccinations database and no federal mandate requiring everyone to obtain a single vaccination credential," Psaki told reporters at a briefing.
    Source: https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...g0n41z_ksVRN0k

This does not, of course, exclude corporations or other enterprises like sports arenas, from establishing their own rules. For instance, certain airlines may decide you will need your vaccine proof in order to fly with them.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Veteran Member

Let's hope it's true, and doesn't change somewhere down the line, as sometimes happens. I'm not holding my breath. Also some states may. I think New York is rolling one out.

I hope that kind of passport won't reach the Philippines. Lots here will have trouble with it, since most of us here are not going to take that China vaccine!

Thread Information