Thread: Why You Shouldn't Drink Coffee On An Empty Stomach, According To A Nutritionist

Default Why You Shouldn't Drink Coffee On An Empty Stomach, According To A Nutritionist

Carolyn Kuang-chen Stanley
    July 5 2020

Here’s how a typical morning for me used to go: Wake up, hit snooze several times, drag myself to the kitchen to make coffee, then wait for the sweet, sweet caffeine to hit my veins. I’m basically a walking but first, coffee cliché. But I mean, that phrase is all over T-shirts/mugs/café letter boards for a reason, right? So when I described my daily routine during a recent nutrition consult with Carlyn Rosenblum, MS, RD, I wasn’t expecting her first criticism to be about that particular habit. Here’s what she had to say about drinking coffee on an empty stomach before breakfast.

Read more: https://www.purewow.com/wellness/cof...-empty-stomach

Default Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Coffee On An Empty Stomach, According To A Nutritionist

Yeah, no not likely around here. Without a nice strong mug of black coffee, no way would anything like breakfast take place. I shall just continue using my "crutch".

Default Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Coffee On An Empty Stomach, According To A Nutritionist

Most people drink coffee first thing in the morning, but there are health risks associated with doing so. Drinking coffee on an empty stomach could damage your stomach lining and cause indigestion and heartburn. It can even increase anxiety and hinder your ability to focus. Therefore, avoid doing it for leading a better life.
    Last edited by ash_fitness365; 04-20-21 at 04:41 AM.
    Stay healthy And Chase the best version
    of yourself - Beyond body

First, what is this cold brew of which she speaks? She can't be talking about iced coffee.

But to go further: at some point in my life I read that a big glass of water is the best thing you can take in upon awakening, because it helps to flush toxins out of your liver that may have accumulated from the previous day. So yes, the first thing I do in the morning is to take my morning ration of supplements and my thyroid medication with a big glass of water. I try to wait an hour or so before brewing my first coffee of the day, but to be honest, that's the shortest hour in my day, if you see what I mean. It does help if I do the morning chores first (mend the fire, feed the pets, clean the cats' litter box, put the clean dishes away etc.) But sooner or later I want that steaming cup of coffee!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

I have come across several recipes for cold brew, but never followed them up. It's not iced coffee, just another way to make coffee that apparently has some advantages. Must follow it up sometime, out of curiosity.

Taking a full glass of water after waking up is my morning regime as well. Not a fan of coffee so I guess I'm safe. :p

Thread Information