Thread: Black or 'Other'? Doctors may be relying on race to make decisions about your healt

Default Black or 'Other'? Doctors may be relying on race to make decisions about your healt

Jacque Smith and Cassie Spodak
    Video by Athena Jones, Jessi Esparza and Natalia Osipova
    April 25, 2021

When she first learned about race correction, Naomi Nkinsi was one of five Black medical students in her class at the University of Washington.
    Nkinsi remembers the professor talking about an equation doctors use to measure kidney function. The professor said eGFR equations adjust for several variables, including the patient's age, sex and race. When it comes to race, doctors have only two options: Black or "Other."
    Nkinsi was dumbfounded.
    "It was really shocking to me," says Nkinsi, now a third-year medical and masters of public health student, "to come into school and see that not only is there interpersonal racism between patients and physicians ... there's actually racism built into the very algorithms that we use."

Keep reading: https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/25/healt...=1619432599390
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Black or 'Other'? Doctors may be relying on race to make decisions about your hea

I used to think that we just had to wait for the old-timers to die off so we could implement positive social change. Now that I'm an old-timer myself, I'm not convinced it will ever happen.

Default Re: Black or 'Other'? Doctors may be relying on race to make decisions about your hea

Well I am an old timer too and I can encourage you, Havanana. I've lived to see the laws in my state change in significant ways. We have eliminated discrimination on the basis of religion, race, gender, age, and any other obstacle you can think of, including same sex marriage and transgendered individuals. That progress was years in the making. We have also made cannabis legal in my state, both medically and recreationally. Euthanasia ("death with dignity") will probably be the next issue to be overcome, but I expect it to happen in my lifetime as well. Things do change!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information