Purslane, a succulent weed, is one of my favorite salad vegetables. I don't need to do a thing about planting it since it seeds itself in my garden prolifically every year. In fact, wild greens like purslane and lambsquarters make up about half of any summer salad I make. You know that being wild means they are going to be high in vitamin and mineral content. Do a Google image search hi how can I help you The text in bold was my phone speaking to me. That's a bit scary, since my phone is beside me but supposedly asleep. Anyway, you get the idea: a Google image search for either of those two plants will show you what they look like so that you gather safely what you are foraging.

No author cited; undated

In this Article

Nutrition

Purslane is rich in folate, which aids in safe cell division and promotes DNA duplication. Doctors recommend that people who can become pregnant consume at least 400 mcg of folate daily because it helps avoid birth defects. [spina bifida is the most common of these - Islander]

Purslane contains oxalates, which have been linked to the formation of kidney stones. People prone to kidney stones should be careful when eating purslane, especially the seeds. Purslane seeds tend to have higher levels of oxalates than other parts of the plant.

Keep reading, learn how to eat it: https://www.webmd.com/diet/health-benefits-purslane#2