Thread: 5 Minute Breathing Workout Lowers Blood Pressure As Much As Exercise, Drugs

Default 5 Minute Breathing Workout Lowers Blood Pressure As Much As Exercise, Drugs

University of Colorado at Boulder
    June 30 2021

Working out just five minutes daily via a practice described as "strength training for your breathing muscles" lowers blood pressure and improves some measures of vascular health as well as, or even more than, aerobic exercise or medication, new CU Boulder research shows.
    The study, published June 29 in the Journal of the American Heart Association, provides the strongest evidence yet that the ultra-time-efficient maneuver known as High-Resistance Inspiratory Muscle Strength Training (IMST) could play a key role in helping aging adults fend off cardiovascular disease -- the nation's leading killer.

Read more: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0630135033.htm
    Last edited by Islander; 07-02-21 at 09:22 PM. Reason: italicize journal title

Veteran Member

Default Re: 5 Minute Breathing Workout Lowers Blood Pressure As Much As Exercise, Drugs

Excellent! I've already passed the article along to several loved ones who could benefit by it. Probably we all could! Thanks, Julieanne.

Default Re: 5 Minute Breathing Workout Lowers Blood Pressure As Much As Exercise, Drugs

I have seen these advertised online at various prices. Hard to know how well the cheaper ones might work.

Neither this one nor related articles describes the process, which apparently includes the use of some sort of device. I'd really like to try this. Can someone tell me what tools are needed and where to find them? Thanks in advance!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Type in IMST device and several will come up. Thinking of trying one myself to improve my breathing - no problems with blood pressure. But it seems to have vascular benefits too.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Neither this one nor related articles describes the process, which apparently includes the use of some sort of device. I'd really like to try this. Can someone tell me what tools are needed and where to find them? Thanks in advance!
    The article posted is sourced from https://www.colorado.edu/today/2021/...exercise-drugs
    There's a photo of one of the 'devices,' plus a short video. I didn't watch it, but if you wanted to get an idea for it, it might help. I know you're not into videos, Islander, but it's under a minute and a half.

Thanks, Pattypans. Because of my hearing impairment, many videos don't work for me. Either they lack subtitles, or I can't understand the lyrics to a song. But a lot of how-to videos are invaluable for showing you how to do routine tasks like changing your motor oil or replacing a pane of glass in a window. I replaced three doorknob latches or locksets just by watching a video. Yay me!

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Yay me!
    Hear, hear! I second it! You are an amazing woman, Islander.

Thanks, PattyPans, but I'm just an ordinary. Anyone can follow directions if the "Director" is clear!

Veteran Member

Sorry, Islander, but I bet to differ. You are anything but ordinary!

Thread Information