Thread: Should you take Tylenol, Advil, or aspirin for pain? Here's what the evidence says.

Default Should you take Tylenol, Advil, or aspirin for pain? Here's what the evidence says.

Julia Belluz@juliaoftoronto
    Aug 26, 2016

I used to take acetaminophen (usually referred to by its brand name, Tylenol) for the occasional headache or sore muscle, mostly because that's what we used in my house growing up. I didn't think much about whether it was more or less effective than any other type of over-the-counter pain reliever, and I suspect the same is true for many folks. Acetaminophen, after all, is the most popular over-the-counter painkiller worldwide.
    So I was surprised when I found out there's a huge gap between how pain researchers think about this drug and how the public does. More specifically, every researcher I contacted for this piece said some variation of what Andrew Moore, a pain researcher at Oxford University, told me: Tylenol doesn't actually work that well for pain. To be more exact, he said, "I can't imagine why anybody would take acetaminophen."

"Most people would say, if you look at the data, take an ibuprofen tablet," Moore said. "Acetaminophen is just not a very good analgesic [pain reliever], yet it’s the go-to drug because it’s thought to be safe."
    And that's where things get even more interesting: Acetaminophen isn't actually that safe.
    "We always thought [acetaminophen] was safe, but there are increasing signals of accidental overdose in people who are regularly using it for chronic pain, and some liver toxicity," explained Conaghan, who has studied adverse events data related to this popular drug.

Keep reading: https://www.vox.com/2015/8/17/916518...-aspirin-advil
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Should you take Tylenol, Advil, or aspirin for pain? Here's what the evidence say

It was found some time ago that acetaminophen and ibuprofen worked well in combination, so it seems best to take one of each. There are several products you can buy that combine the two - in Australia, don't know about the US. I rarely take either, and have never used aspirin for pain relief.

Thread Information