Thread: Probiotics Improve Nausea And Vomiting In Pregnancy, Study Finds

Default Probiotics Improve Nausea And Vomiting In Pregnancy, Study Finds

Findings also provide clues to why some people experience more stomach upset during pregnancy

University of California - Davis Health
    December 4, 2021

Summary:Researchers found that probiotics significantly improve the symptoms of pregnancy-related nausea, vomiting and constipation. Nausea and vomiting affect about 85 percent of pregnancies and can significantly impact quality of life, particularly during early pregnancy.

In a first-of-its-kind study, researchers at the UC Davis School of Medicine found that probiotics significantly improve the symptoms of pregnancy-related nausea, vomiting and constipation. The findings were published in the journal Nutrients.

Nausea and vomiting affect about 85% of pregnancies and can significantly impact quality of life, particularly during early pregnancy.
    "The cause of nausea and vomiting during pregnancy is unknown to this date. Various theories have been proposed, but none of them is conclusive," said Albert T. Liu, lead author for the study and a professor of obstetrics and gynecology.

Read more: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1204190916.htm
    Last edited by Julieanne; 12-07-21 at 12:11 PM.

Default Re: Probiotics Improve Nausea And Vomiting In Pregnancy, Study Finds

The fact that probiotics affects the symptoms that some women experience in pregnancy suggests that the symptoms may be diet-related. I went through four pregnancies with no discomfort or irregularity, and the same was true for menopause. Because I grew up on a farm, eating food we had raised, and continued to farm organically throughout most of my adult life, I still believe that diet has a great deal to do with the discomfort of pregnancy and menopause, which are natural and normal cycles in the life of a woman.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

I had my children in the '60's, when there was little talk of good nutrition. But as soon as I knew I was pregnant, I became very conscious of diet, started juicing and eating more healthy food. I still had horrible morning sickness for the first three months. I couldn't bear the smell of meat cooking, I wish probiotics had been available then! Mothers-to-be these days seem to be very aware of nutrition, but still get morning sickness. 85% is pretty high.

A friend of mine was vegetarian, ate only organic and was horribly ill for the whole nine months. It seems it can be different for everyone.

That seems so strange to me, Julieanne, when we have been giving birth for literally millions of years. It lought to be as pain-free and natural as breathing!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information