Thread: MACULAR DEGENERATION FORMULA

Default MACULAR DEGENERATION FORMULA

Islander
    December 8, 2021

What is age-related macular degeneration?

Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) is a disease that affects a person’s central vision. AMD is the most common cause of severe eyesight loss among people age 50 and older. Only the center of vision is affected with this disease. It is rare that people go totally blind from it. But AMD can make it hard to read, drive, or do other daily activities that need detailed vision.

AMD occurs when the macula is damaged. The macula is located in the center of the retina and provides us with sight in the center of our field of vision. With less of the macula working, central vision begins to get worse.

What causes age-related macular degeneration?

There are 2 main types of AMD. They have different causes:

• Dry AMD.This type is more common. Experts don't know what causes it. The light-sensitive cells in the macula slowly break down. It generally happens in both eyes. It is thought that the age-related thickening of the tissue under the retina helps lead to dry AMD.
    • Wet AMD.This type is less common. It accounts for most severe eyesight loss caused by AMD. New blood vessels behind the retina start to grow under the retina. They leak fluid and blood. They can create a large blind spot in the center of the visual field.

I am 80 years old. I was diagnosed with AMD three years ago. My ophthalmologist suggested an OTC treatment, PreserVision. When I looked at the label and the price, it was easy to see that I could put together my own formula at a fraction of the cost. PreserVision contains 500 mg of vitamin C: I've been taking 4g/day that's grams — 4000 mg) for years, and increased that with the arrival of COVID-19. The rest of my formula: vitamin E (from my daily multi-vite); 80 mg zinc; 2 mg. copper; 10 mg. lutein (plus a lot of organic homegrown greens); 2 mg. zeaxanthin. I've added a few supplements of my own choice: selenium, melatonin and bilberry extract. Result: my AMD has not progressed beyond the day it was diagnosed.
    Disclaimer: I have no medical credits beyond personal research. Keep in mind that you found this formula from somebody on the Internet!

Read more on AMD: https://www.cedars-sinai.org/health-...eneration.html
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: MACULAR DEGENERATION FORMULA

An online search of <natural eye care> might come up with some interesting results.

The only ingredients I am not taking from that recipe are copper and bilberry. I'm wary of excess copper, as we get plenty from our water pipes. No sign of MD last time I had an eye exam but I do have cataracts which need to be removed in the near future. I have taken astaxanthin or lutein and zeanthin for some time now, but they are still getting worse. Along with dry eye, reading small print is getting quite difficult.

Julieanne, I believe you are a few years older than I am, so without mentioning numbers, I am mildly surprised that you are another one who still has cataracts intact at our advanced age. Can you identify what you've done to preserve your eyes in such fine condition for so long?

Grulla, I don't think I can do much better than adopting an already physician – approved formula with a couple of natural additions for emphasis. But you could incentivize your readers by dropping a suggestion or two of what they might find that would make the search worth their while.

I wish I knew! The only thing I have done specifically is, as I said, to take an astaxanthin supplement, or one with lutein and zeanthin. I haven't exactly been consistent with either. Other than that, a range of vitamins that I take individually, some every day, some every second day, a couple once a week. I actually didn't know until recently how common cataracts are, I thought a few people had them when they were quite old. But we will all get them if we live long enough!

"But you could incentivize your readers by dropping a suggestion.."
    OK, but at the risk of incurring the wrath of the anti-spam gods : .....https://www.naturaleyecare.com/
    Last edited by Islander; 12-21-21 at 04:45 PM.

You are just repeating your initial post, Grulla. You do this on the mercola site too — Post a link without any additional information. I can't speak for the rest of the world, but my time is limited and I want a suggestion of what the source may offer me before I take the time to explore it. You might have said, "here's a site with some recommendations for vision health without pharmaceuticals." That's all I need — enough to know whether I want to visit it or not. And as it happened, I learned something there about eyesight that I didn't know, so thank you for posting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    You are just repeating your initial post, Grulla. You do this on the mercola site too — And as it happened, I learned something there about eyesight that I didn't know, so thank you for posting it.
    Mercola forum has well over 3 million forum members, and the articles and forums now expire in 48 hours. So what small percent of 3 milion is present on that forum at any given time, therefore one can't repeat important info often enough.

I originally suggested <natural eye care> as a generic search term, as well as it being a website name. That should be adequate for anyone to do their own natural eye health online search, so that will have to do. "

"... so thank you for posting it." You are most welcome.
    Last edited by grulla; 12-21-21 at 07:30 PM.

Thread Information