Thread: Painfully Weak Evidence Supporting Collagen Supplement For Arthritis

Default Painfully Weak Evidence Supporting Collagen Supplement For Arthritis

Paul T.Hippel
    January 20 2022

One Thursday in September, I woke up with achy knees. That was nothing new. I’ve had knee pain on and off for a few years. Before the pandemic, I had visited an orthopedist, who told me that I’d lost some cartilage in my knee joint — an early sign of osteoarthritis. “Come on, I’m just over 50,” I told her. “That’s much too young for arthritis.”

“Yeah,” she laughed, “I hear that a lot.”

My knees aren’t nearly bad enough for surgery, but I’ve tried most everything else. A steroid injection provided relief, but only for a week. Injections of rooster comb (it’s for real) didn’t help me, and certainly didn’t help the roosters. Physical therapy worked when I did the exercises religiously, but I’d lapsed in recent months.
    So I thought I might try collagen supplements.

Read more: https://www.statnews.com/2022/01/20/...for-arthritis/
    Last edited by Julieanne; 01-22-22 at 07:50 AM.

Default Re: Painfully Weak Evidence Supporting Collagen Supplement For Arthritis

Default Re: Painfully Weak Evidence Supporting Collagen Supplement For Arthritis

I was also curious if sugar free, home made gummies, as a healthy and fruity lemon snack, could be a good source of collegen??? https://www.hawkeshealth.net/communi...hlight=gummies
    Last edited by grulla; 01-23-22 at 06:23 PM.

grulla, there are two types of Great Lakes gelatin - one sets into a gel and the other doesn't. I have used the second to add to juices, as I don't want to end up with jelly. I think the one I have is hydrolised gelatin.

never had a gummy and they don't excite me now, either. Might look into something else...
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    never had a gummy and they don't excite me now, either. Might look into something else...
    I figured gummies could be a good source of gelatinos collagen, either in the form of gummies or jello. There are many website showing how to make gummies at home, such as WAPF: https://www.westonaprice.org/gelatin-gummies/

After some further thought, I'm wondering if the writer is actually experienciing gout, a form of arthritis, usually in the toe joint, but also in other leg and arm locations, as described in the 2nd paragraph of the following link: https://betahealthy.com/gout-definit...=gout%20causes

When I had gout in my foot a few years ago, I bought and drank organic quart bottles of Lakewood TART cherry juice, and the gout problem gradually subsided in a few days. It has been said to exercise the legs and feet to stimulate healing blood flow, at least as long as the pain does not return. If the pain does return, cease exercising until the pain subsides and then resume exercise walking again. Taking some weight of one's legs and feet also helps, and for that reason, riding a bicycle can be a great therapy. Leaning on a SM shopping cart handle can help take weight off the legs also.
    Last edited by grulla; 01-26-22 at 01:52 PM.

Thread Information