Thread: How Much Tuna Can I Eat A week Before I Need To Worry About Mercury?

Default How Much Tuna Can I Eat A week Before I Need To Worry About Mercury?

1. Simon Apte
    2. Chad Jarolimek
    3. March 23 2022

For as little as A$1 a tin, canned tuna is an excellent, affordable source of protein, polyunsaturated fats and other nutrients. A tin of tuna is significantly cheaper than many types of fresh meat or fish.
    Sounds good, but how much can you eat before you need to worry about mercury?
    According to Food Standards Australia New Zealand:
    It is safe for everyone (including pregnant women) to consume canned tuna as part of their fish intake.
    Canned tuna generally has lower levels of mercury than tuna fillets because smaller tuna species are used and the tuna are generally younger when caught.
    But how many tins a week?

Read more: https://theconversation.com/how-much...bout%20mercury
    Last edited by Julieanne; 03-26-22 at 07:30 AM.

Default Re: How Much Tuna Can I Eat A week Before I Need To Worry About Mercury?

In the article, "So, the fact the canned tuna in Australian cupboards is likely to contain smaller species is already a bonus when it comes to reducing mercury risk."

To further elaborate, that implies that the large(r) fresh tuna fillets cut into steaks that one sees in the fresh meat market displays, comes from larger, and therefore older tuna fish which had a longer lifespan to absorb more toxins, so yes, the younger canned tuna is probably the safer bet.
    Last edited by grulla; 03-27-22 at 09:19 AM.

Default Re: How Much Tuna Can I Eat A week Before I Need To Worry About Mercury?

"For as little as A$1 a tin..." I'm not sure what the size of the tin is nor how that figure translates into USD. What I can tell you is that unless you want cat food, a 5-ounce can of tuna here will set you back $2.29 (or $7.33 per pound).

I much prefer sardines, which are still at 99¢ for a 3.75-ounce can. Along with, say, a few cucumber slices, that's a mighty cheap lunch. Sardines are also canned in various flavors, like Louisiana hot sauce, oil, or mustard. I like to get mine in water and add a little barbecue sauce. Perfect!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

[QUOTE=Islander;89409.....Sardines are also canned in various flavors, like Louisiana hot sauce, oil, or mustard. I like to get mine in water and add a little barbecue sauce. Perfect![/QUOTE]

Yeah, a lot of those flavored sardines are garnished (adulterated) with questionable ingredients so I stock up on sardines packed in water, and garnish them with my own (organic) ingredients such as perhaps Dijon mustard. Some of the imported Mexican sardines in tomato sauce, packed in the larger oval cans, seem OK, as well as the pricey King Oscar in (perhaps questionable) olive oil, so as always, read the ingredients.
    Last edited by grulla; 04-01-22 at 10:15 AM.

Thread Information