Thread: Why I Kicked My Keurig to the Curb

Default Why I Kicked My Keurig to the Curb

Erin Chamerlik, MS
    Monday, June 6th 2022

What busy person doesn't love the idea of having a personal cup of coffee instantly with the push of a button. Many people are delighted when the Keurig machines show up in the workplace or doctor's waiting room. I loved the idea. I bought one from Costco along with the handy unit to store those awkward K Cups. I, of course, insisted on the Newman's Organic K Cups for my coffee choice.
    We stocked our hot beverage center with a variety of flavored K Cups.

Then that little voice in my head started asking questions.

Keep reading: https://greenmedinfo.com/blog/why-i-...cRJUBbL.K2vXAy
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Why I Kicked My Keurig to the Curb

I have been using the 4, and now 8, cup stainless steel (SS) Farberware electric coffee percolators for close to 40 years now, that my mom was always used to using. Recently Farberware sold out to China and as a result, their 8 cup percolators have slightly shrunk in size to appx 85%, so if I should ever buy another, it will be the 12 cup version. There are quite a few online retailers that sell Farberware coffee percolator replacement parts including the internal electric thermostat sensors. https://www.goodmans.net/d/421/farbe...ator-parts.htm

Farberware also makes 8 or 12 cup SS stove top percolators. https://farberwarecookware.com/produ...with-blue-knob.

Farberware's perforated SS strainers do not require any paper filters, but inspite of that, I use a Melitta #4 filter anyway, added into the SS strainer for extra filtration and easier cleaning. And on the German Mellita website, they claim their brown paper coffee filters are biodegradable and compostable. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=farberware...ages&ia=images
    Last edited by grulla; 06-11-22 at 08:45 AM.

My personal experience, having to do with convenience goes like this. After the hurricanes, we had several months with no electrical power, so no electric coffee maker of any sort. So I got out the little plastic Melitta type coffee filter thingy which fits right on top of the coffee mug. Our stove is propane fired, so it still functioned to boil the water in a teakettle. It was so simple to use, and so easy to clean up after, that I continued to use this method to make my morning coffee, even after our electrical power had been restored. I gave my electric drip coffee maker away.

I gave up using the coffee maker too Maurya. It takes up so much room on my limited bench space. I make perfectly good coffee for myself in a small jug, then use a very fine strainer to pour into a mug. For more than one, I use my trusty Bodum (French press). I still have Melitta filters, but replacement filters are so ridiculously expensive, I haven't used it for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Julieanne View Post
    .... I still have Melitta filters, but replacement filters are so ridiculously expensive, I haven't used it for a long time.
    I don't know how it is in Oz, but I buy boxes of 100, #4 Mellita brown paper filters, added above and beyond to my percolator SS strainer as mentioned above, dirt cheap at Wally for just a couple bucks USD.

Same here. I get a knock off brand, similar to Melitta for a little more than $2 US for 100 filters.

We don't have Walmart, and the cheapest I could see online was $12, plus $8.57 delivery cost. Amazon was even more expensive. They come from the UK, but I can see no reason why they cost so much - it makes no sense.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Melitta-Co...00006IUTQ?th=1

And here is Wally's version of #4 Mellita box of 100: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Melitta-4-Natural-Brown-Cone-Coffee-Filters-100-Ct/21686016

ALSO: Environmentally friendly Melita filters: https://www.melitta.com/en/Why-We-Filter-546.html
    Last edited by grulla; 06-12-22 at 09:55 AM.

Curious. Is Melita some kind of special filter?
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Melitta is a brand name for a certain style of cone coffee filter. Theirs might be more expensive, just because they had developed the original design. We use an unbleached knock off brand which has the same shape and design to fit the cone. I get them cheap from Vitacost. While I was growing up, we always used a Chemex coffee maker, with its own particular design of cone filters, through which one pours the hot water from the teakettle. Same principle. As I am quite cheap, I like using the inexpensive filters.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Yes, if you read the German Mellita website info, you'll see that the brown paper filters are biodegradable and composteable. But you might have to compensate for the coffee grinds pH???

I plumb forgot to mention that ~ 2 years ago when my new Chinese Farberware percolator fizzled out, (I have since repaired it by bypassing the "planned obsolescence" internal fuseable link), I was desperate for my morning coffee fix, so I hurried out and purchased a stainless steel 9 cup, campsite or stovetop, coffee percolator at Wally for ~$22.00 shelf price, back then. And the #4 Mellita filters work well in it. Today they are priced a bit higher, but what isn't. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coletti-S...3?athbdg=L1700

Thread Information