Thread: 'Food Sequencing' Really Can Help Your Glucose Levels...Eating Salads before Carbs

Default 'Food Sequencing' Really Can Help Your Glucose Levels...Eating Salads before Carbs

Leonie Heilbronn
    June 9 2022

Biochemist and author of the Glucose Revolution Jessie Inchauspé says tweaking your diet can change your life. Among her recommendations in the mainstream media and on Instagram, the founder of the “Glucose Goddess movement” says eating your food in a particular order is the key.
    By eating salads first, before proteins, and finishing the meal with starchy carbohydrates, she says blood glucose spikes will be flattened, which is better for you.
    Scientifically speaking, does this make sense? It turns out, yes, partially

Read more: https://theconversation.com/food-seq...before%20carbs

Default Re: 'Food Sequencing' Really Can Help Your Glucose Levels...Eating Salads before Carb

It's good to consume one's healthy carbs early in the day, as I do at intermittent fasting, (IF), breakfast, so you have the rest of the day to burn them up...and also go to bed with an empty, well digested stomach.
    Last edited by grulla; 06-30-22 at 11:18 AM.

Default Re: 'Food Sequencing' Really Can Help Your Glucose Levels...Eating Salads before Carb

Not to be intrusive, but you have often described your breaking fast in detail, and my memory is that about half of that meal is protein (eggs and lamb or sausage or other meat). I remember carbs as being primarily cooked oat groats. Am I misremembering? After all, I'm older than dirt and memory is the first to go.

And in response to Julieanne's post, it almost seems like basic human nature to eat the salad before you begin the main course. Isn't that a pretty typical Western meal? (I mean Western as opposed to Asian, not the diet of Texas and New Mexico)!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Not to be intrusive, but you have often described your breaking fast in detail, and my memory is that about half of that meal is protein (eggs and lamb or sausage or other meat). I remember carbs as being primarily cooked oat groats. Am I misremembering? After all, I'm older than dirt and memory is the first to go...
    ICYMI, from my previous HH posts as to how I prepare the groats. A few years ago, Mercola forum member "Krofter" explained to me/us that he learned from an old indigenous native fellow, the right way to prepare quinoa after soaking and rinsing, was to heat the quinoa batch until it JUST came to a boil and then IMMEDIATEY turn off the heat and let it cool all day, just like granny's apple pie at the window sill. In that way, there should be no starchy, formed o-ring (cheerios) grains, which would be indicative of an amylose, starch resistant cereal.

So I ran with that idea and decided to apply that preparation technique to WHOLE oat groats, and it seems to work with good results. And that practice can also be applied to WHOLE grain buckwheat, barley, etc., one size fits all. Of course, all that is mainly applicable and practical for large batches of cooked WHOLE grain cereals that lasts me for about a week, so when I see that I'm about run out in two days or so, I PLAN AHEAD and start the soaking, rinsing, and boiling the next batch so there is no interruption in my morning cereal supply. And since I'm well stocked up and batch prepared, there are no "supply chain" issues for my WHOLE oat groats.
    Last edited by grulla; 07-03-22 at 09:55 AM.

.... Am I misremembering? After all, I'm older than dirt and memory is the first to go....
    Same here, but in my case it was my hair that was the first to go. Either way, it's a headache. lol!!!
    Last edited by grulla; 07-03-22 at 02:52 PM.

But you haven't answered my question. Yes, I remember your preparing your groats well in advance to last you several days but that wasn't what I was asking.
    Can you tell me this: what percentage of your breakfast is made of carbs, and what percentage of protein? Could be by ounces or grams or cups, but as a diabetic I'm curious as to the comparative quantity of each.

But you haven't answered my question. Yes, I remember your preparing your groats well in advance to last you several days but that wasn't what I was asking.
    Can you tell me this: what percentage of your breakfast is made of carbs, and what percentage of protein? Could be by ounces or grams or cups, but as a diabetic I'm curious as to the comparative quantity of each.
    In terms of percentages, I really don't know. The best way I can answer is that my whole oat groats, with some diced baking apple and unsweetened dried tart cherry raisins, have been made amylose, starch resistant by minmal cooking time and cooling, and refrigerating before reheating the following day from the batch. The rest of my breakfast is mainly protein with 3 eggs, some breakfast meat, and a single slice of lightly toasted sourdough bread with butter and a thin layer of Oz Vegamite. And my latest A1C last month was 5.2 . PS: https://www.delightedcooking.com/wha...art-apples.htm
    Last edited by grulla; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:30 AM.

Well that really doesn't tell me much (a cup? A half cup?) But that's OK, I get the jist. It still strikes me as a full-fledged supper meal… But then, I'm an old lady and a three minute egg at noon satisfies me. That's a great A1c, by the way! (you'll still have to work a little harder to get down to my record of 4.6). Seriously, don't try, you're doing fine!

Thread Information