Thread: High Fructose Corn Syrup Linked To Liver Disease?

Default High Fructose Corn Syrup Linked To Liver Disease?

Annie Lennon
    June 17 2022

• Researchers investigated the link between nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) and high fructose corn syrup consumption.
    • They found that consuming high amounts of fructose, especially among Mexican Americans who consumed the highest amount, was linked to a higher risk of NAFLD.
    • The researchers conclude that people should avoid consuming foods with high fructose corn syrup content to prevent NAFLD.

Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) occurs when an excess of fat builds up in the liver, which can lead to permanent scarring of the liver, called cirrhosis. Around 24% of adults in the U.S. have the condition.

Read more: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...740408e9475469

Default Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup Linked To Liver Disease?

I seem to remember a former member, a man from Scotland, making this claim and none of us took him seriously, if I recall. He did have some other outrageous ideas and I think eventually he gave up on us. He was easily provoked… Not a patient man.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

It's no wonder Mexicans are more prone to this disease. Apparently they drink huge amounts of cola, which is sweeter than the cola in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Julieanne View Post
    It's no wonder Mexicans are more prone to this disease. Apparently they drink huge amounts of cola, which is sweeter than the cola in the US.
    I'm not so sure about Mexican cola being sweeter than U.S. cola. A lot of the supermarkets around here display and sell imported Mexican Coca Cola and other Mexican soda brands, on separate display shelves, because the U.S. sweetens their soda pop with HFCS, while the Mexican soda is sweetened with pure cane sugar (glucose).
    In case we need to be reminded, the two sugars that stress the liver badly are fructose (& HFCS) and alcohol, because the liver, and ONLY the liver, metabolize them, while other sugars are "equally" metabolized (absorbed) throughout the entire body, not concentrating and overloading the liver so much. https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart...he-liver-heart PS: I do agree, however, that many ethnic Mexicans around here are diabetic. It wasn't long ago that I saw various TV ads and highway billboards appealing to Mexicans about controlling their diabetes. Native Amercans have similar problems.
    Last edited by grulla; 07-09-22 at 12:01 PM.

Not only in Mexico. Around here, the popular Crucian drinks include copious quantities of Coco Lopez, which is quite sweet, along with rum of course. This is the land that rum built. I'm talking about drinks such as painkillers, pina coladas, etc. Diabetes and liver failure in a glass. A popular t-shirt here proclaims "the liver is evil and it must be punished".

Quote Originally Posted by Julieanne View Post
    I believe a distinction needs to be made between (indigenous) Mexican Nationals VS Mexican Americans, where living in the U.S. has introduced a lot of unhealthy diet. The Eskimos/Inuits and Native Americans have experienced similar situations. The homeland Mexican diet has been known for healthy organic dietary practices, like the soaking/rinsing tradition of beans, treating their cornmeal with lime to prevent pellagra, the above mentioned sugar VS HFCS, as well as keeping toxic Monsanto out of their country. Oh, and I forgot to mention that a lot of their wild caught sardines are unadulterated, usually packed in just tomato sauce, but there can be some exceptions, so carefully read the ingredient label.
    Last edited by grulla; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:11 AM.

Thread Information