Thread: Most Patients With Appendicitis Can Be Treated With Antibiotics

Default Most Patients With Appendicitis Can Be Treated With Antibiotics

University of California - Los Angeles Health Sciences
    July 6, 2022

Outpatient antibiotic management of selected patients with appendicitis is safe, allowing many patients to avoid surgery and hospitalization, and should be considered as part of shared decision-making between doctor and patient. Of 726 participants who were randomized to receive antibiotics, 46% were discharged from the emergency department within 24 hours. Outpatient management was associated with fewer than 1 serious adverse effect per 100 patients in the week after their discharge.

Read more: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0706092915.htm

Default Re: Most Patients With Appendicitis Can Be Treated With Antibiotics

Ass with tonsils, which were at one time routine removal from children under five, the appendix also has a reason to be there and ought to be left alone if at all possible, so I cry hallelujah to any antibiotic that can enable us to keep that little helper. Mine appears to have been removed twice during abdominal surgery many years apart, so I suspect that either the first time was an oversight, or only a very small section was removed and the organ regrew itself. I'm not even sure that I have one anymore. The same is true of my gallbladder, as a matter of fact. During cancer surgery my oncologist saved the gallstone for me but I'm not 100% sure that she actually removed the gallbladder itself, since I am able to eat absolutely anything without any gastric disturbances. Next time I pay a routine visit to my doc, I'm going to ask him to review my medical records to see whether the gallbladder itself was removed. That oncologist was brilliant and it wouldn't surprise me if she managed to squeeze out the stone and leaves the organ intact.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information