Patrick Reilly
July 9, 2022

A freshwater beach in Southern Iowa was forced to close Friday after a woman who recently swam there became infected with Naegleria fowleri, a brain-eating amoeba, state health officials announced.
The swimmer, a woman from Missouri, was in the water at the Lake of Three Fires in Taylor County towards the end of last month. She was later confirmed to be infected with the single-celled, free-living amoeba that can cause a “life-threatening infection of the brain,” the Iowa Department of Public Health said in a news release.

Continue reading at:
https://nypost.com/2022/07/09/iowa-b...eating-amoeba/