Thread: Avoid These Brain-Slowing Drugs to Protect Your Memory

Default Avoid These Brain-Slowing Drugs to Protect Your Memory

Bhavesh B.
    Umdated; posted Sept 4, 2022

Many people worry about becoming forgetful, particularly the elderly. Forgetfulness can be a normal part of aging. As we age, changes occur in all parts of the body, including the brain. But just because you’re getting older doesn’t mean you will inevitably experience memory loss. According to the National Institute on Aging, causes of memory problems can include aging, medical conditions, emotional problems, mild cognitive impairment, or other conditions. Some habits are known to cause memory problems and cognitive symptoms as well, such as alcohol and drug abuse, heavy cigarette smoking, head injuries, stroke, sleep deprivation, severe stress, and vitamin B12 deficiency. What most people don’t realize is that some common drugs can impair one’s memory too. Here are some common types of medications that may be making you more forgetful.

https://www.ba-bamail.com/health/dem...e-memory-loss/
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Avoid These Brain-Slowing Drugs to Protect Your Memory

I assumed my frequent memory losses were due to aging. I was stunned to learn that I am taking two of the drugs on the list, Diazepam and Norco. I doubt the Diazepam is to blame since I've been taking it occasionally, as needed for sleep, for 50-60 years. Since the memory gaps are recent, I'll have to blame the Norco, an opioid my doctor suggested for pain relief. Chronic back and hip pain have been misdiagnosed for years and it's questionable whether alternative treatment will ever be effective.
    Why can't I take an OTC for chronic pain? Tylenol (acetaminophen) causes damage to the liver. Ibuprofen raises blood pressure, and some of you may remember a serious event I had when my BP registered 272/165. And good old aspirin does nothing for me at all. I'm going to experiment with cutting back on the number of Norco tablets I take in a day, but I couldn't do the outdoor work I do now without the help of pain relief.

I have been taking NAC tabs for years, reccomended for COPD. It reverses the effect of Tylenol, and is used in cases of overdose. So I'm not concerned if I have to use pain relief. Worth a try? Obviously not as effective as opioids, but better than nothing. Í
    Last edited by Julieanne; 09-10-22 at 10:45 PM.

I met with my doctor for our bi-annual diabetes check up yesterday. My most urgent question was whether the memory loss attributable to opioids can be reversed — or is it permanent? To my great relief, he said that discontinuing the Norco would help to remediate my loss of memory. I don't think I could do continue the strenuous outdoor work I do without pain relief of some kind, but I can cut back on the Norco to one or two a day, and on rainy days when I won't be doing heavy lifting or similar efforts, I can skip it entirely. I'll also take Julieanne's suggestion under advisement. That's my plan... I'll report back if and when I see results.

Thread Information