Thread: Why I Don't Recommend Pink Himalayan Salt

Default Why I Don't Recommend Pink Himalayan Salt

By Catherine Crow
    updated September 22, 2021

Pink Himalayan salt is a pretty popular trend these days with the health crowd, but from my personal experience, there are good reasons not to use it. I surely wouldn't be writing this without collecting data from hundreds of clients from all over the world (thank you to all my wonderful clients that participated in my salt study!). Let me explain.

Continue reading at: https://butternutrition.com/pink-himalayan-salt/

Default Re: Why I Don't Recommend Pink Himalayan Salt

There are many other websites that question pink salt toxicity, by searching with words such as, [pink salt mercury poisoning]. Here is another example of many more. https://www.3aw.com.au/dangerously-h...-in-pink-salt/
    Last edited by grulla; 09-12-22 at 05:51 PM.

"Nutritionally, Himalayan salt is similar to common table salt.[11][14] Though a study of pink salts commercially available in Australia showed Himalayan salt to contain higher levels of a range of elements, including calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese, potassium, aluminum, barium, silicon, and sulfur, and reduced levels of sodium, compared to table salt, the authors concluded that "exceedingly high intake" (a level in excess of the recommended daily salt intake by almost 600%) would be required for the differences to be clinically significant, levels at which any potential nutritional benefit would be outweighed by the risks of elevated sodium consumption such an intake would entail.[15] One notable exception regards the essential mineral iodine. Commercial table salt in many countries is supplemented with iodine, and this has significantly reduced disorders of iodine deficiency.[16] Himalayan salt lacks these beneficial effects of iodine supplementation.[17][18]"
    - Wikipedia

The claim that Himalayan salt contains microfibers of plastic is ludicrous, since these salt formations were created millions of years before the use of plastic poisoned our environment.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

It never occurred to me that the mined mineral salt might have appreciable and unsafe amounts of mercury, cadmium, aluminum, etc., some of which could be cumulative in the body, and difficult or impossible to chelate??? I have been using pink mined, Single Origin, Himalayan mineral salt for about 5 years now. The iodized salt now sounds like a good bet. Article brief mention, about Single Origin Himalayan pink mined salt link, https://www.winsightgrocerybusiness....e-origin-foods
    Last edited by grulla; 09-16-22 at 09:59 AM.

No thank you, not for me. There are so many benefits to Himalayan salt that I don't understand why you would dismiss it — especially since it will never contain micro plastics!

Micro-plastics aside for the moment, I wonder if the author had/has the same thoughts about adverse minerals in sea salt???
    Last edited by grulla; 09-17-22 at 07:43 AM.

I'd hardly be concerned about mineral levels if I had to increase my intake of salt by 600% in order to make any significant difference!

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    ....I'd hardly be concerned about mineral levels if I had to increase my intake of salt by 600% in order to make any significant difference!
    But just remember though, that some of these adverse elemental minerals, such as aluminum, lead, mercury, etc., can be cumulative and carcinogenic over time, and maybe difficult to chelate from one's body.

Good point grulla.

Yes, perhaps a good point if you are 18 or 21. Do you realize how many years it would take for any of those mentioned to reach a level of concern? Even as a teenager, I think I'd be more worried about being hit by abus or struck by lightning then I would about overdosing on pink Himalayan salt!

What recently occurred to me, though, is how many products I see on supermarket shelves that scream "Sea salt"! Did it never occur to anyone that if it's not ancient pink Himalayan salt from the Cambrian age or something, it's going to be loaded with micro-plastics? They may be microscopic, but to my knowledge no studies have ever been done about their effect on the human body.

Thread Information