Thread: 5 Food-Medicines That Could Quite Possibly Save Your Life

Default 5 Food-Medicines That Could Quite Possibly Save Your Life

Sayer Ji, Founder
    Tuesday, October 4th 2022

Some of the most powerful medicines on the planet are masquerading around as foods and spices. While they do not lend themselves to being patented, nor will multi-billion dollar human clinical trials ever be funded to prove them efficacious, they have been used since time immemorial to both nourish our bodies, and to prevent and treat disease.
    So valued were these in ancient times that they were worth their weight in gold, and entire civilizations either rose to great power or collapsed as a result of their relationship to them.

Keep reading: https://greenmedinfo.com/blog/5-food...ve-your-life-1
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: 5 Food-Medicines That Could Quite Possibly Save Your Life

I'm happy to say that I consume all 5 ingredients. But recently, I've noticed that the organic coarse garlic granules I sprinkle on my morning omelet/skillet and lightly toasted, buttered sourdough bread, has laxative properties and can easily exceed bowel tolerance...in less than an hour! I believe that may have something to do with advanced age and/or the lack of, or change in digestive enzymes. And also, organic apples are always sliced 'n diced and quickly boiled in my whole oat groats prep for daily breakfast.
    Last edited by grulla; 10-06-22 at 09:44 AM.

Odd question, having to do with one of these magic five ingredients: Do other people peel their turmeric root prior to slicing and cooking it? I never used to do that, just washed them, but recently I have been peeling the root. Perhaps the roots which now are in season locally are older and tougher. Don't know. Just looking for the opinions of others.

Good question, Maurya. Here they are purely unaffordable as a vegetable, but I bought some late last fall to see whether I could grow my own. I followed directions over the winter, knowing they'd be slow to emerge in spring, but when they did, they have been vigorous and healthy shoots and I hope they are growing enormous roots below the surface that I will see eventually. I asked an experienced grower how he harvests his turmeric and he says that once the leaves begin to die off as a house plant, he places it in a cool dark place over the winter and harvest the root the following spring. I'll ask him about peeling but I don't know how rapid a reply I might get, so standby...

Meanwhile, my thought is that the peel in everything from an apple to a carrot is supposedly where the highest content of nutrients is stored, so perhaps you won't want to peel it as long as it's scrubbed clean. I don't peel my carrots or my potatoes either. Does it make a difference? Who knows? It makes me feel better, though!

Grulla, this is the first I've heard that garlic has laxative properties. Are you quite sure that it isn't something else in that breakfast combo you prepare? I would be quicker to blame the apple or any other fruit before I would point a finger at garlic.

Perhaps it should be said that the laxative effect is uniquely mine, and not necessarily for others. If so, then I suppose perhaps that that laxative effect should be more accurately described as a food intolerance. Raspberries and blackberries have affected me similarly, so I resorted to what I thought was safe organic strawberries, only to experience more belly cramps and a diuretic effect of endless night time urinating. I'll experiment with blueberries.
    And consuming both garlic granule powder and berries during the course of the same day could be very aggravating, whereas just one of those food "allergens" (actually, probably a food intolerance), consumed without the other, and in small amounts, seems to sometimes work well. As you suggested, fruit could be a cause, perhaps due to excessive fructose, or too much Vit C, a well known source of bowel intolerance ??? So many variables, but one thing I'm sure of, is at my advanced age, my digestive abilities aren't what they used to be.
    Last edited by grulla; 10-10-22 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    ...Meanwhile, my thought is that the peel in everything from an apple to a carrot is supposedly where the highest content of nutrients is stored, so perhaps you won't want to peel it as long as it's scrubbed clean. I don't peel my carrots or my potatoes either. Does it make a difference? Who knows? It makes me feel better, though!
    Same here, I NEVER peel the apples that I quickly boil in my whole oat groat preparation, or even if I eat one whole. Same for carrots and cooked potatoes, even mashed. And I always enjoyed the idea of freezing ORGANIC (not chemically sprayed), lemons to be grated, skin and all, in ice tea, ice cream, etc., that was posted a few years back, here on HH. And just recently, (ORGANIC) banana skins . https://realfarmacy.com/freezes-lemon/ https://www.hawkeshealth.net/communi...t=banana+skins
    Last edited by grulla; 10-08-22 at 04:10 PM.

Thanks Islander! As mentioned, when the turmeric roots are being harvested while they are young, I never peel them as the skins are quite thin and smooth. These are grown locally here, of course. It's only when the roots are quite mature, as they are now, when the skins are thick and lumpy, that I think that I am unable to get them clean with just washing them. Perhaps next time I go to the farm stand, I shall ask this question of the farmer. I have known him for years, and he probably would be nice enough to tell me what he thinks about it.

Do please let us know when you get an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by grulla View Post
    ... Raspberries and blackberries have affected me similarly, so I resorted to what I thought was safe organic strawberries, only to experience more belly cramps and a diuretic effect of endless night time urinating. I'll experiment with blueberries. ...
    Yes, too many blueberries also have a diuretic effect on me, making me visit the bathroom often at night. I suppose perhaps that too much other fruit (fructose) might be just as problematic, as I don't consume much other fruit other than the diced apple and the unsweetened tart dried cherry raisins in my morning oat groats, as well as a green(ish) banana. Guess I'll have to give up the noon time berries. And I was also thinking about returning to my ONE noontime light beer with dinner just for the holidays, another diuretic.

So Farmer Luca says that he does not peel his turmeric, but he says that he puts them into his smoothies. I tend to use mine in a stir fry or curry dish, so I shall continue to peel them partially, just trimming off the little black spots and rough areas. Turmeric roots are so plentiful here that I am not too concerned about perhaps wasting a tiny bit.

That's helpful to know, especially considering that my indoor turmeric plant is still growing vigorously with no sign of shutting down at the end of summer.

Thread Information