Thread: Don’t Make this Almond Mistake

Default Don’t Make this Almond Mistake

TIM REIHM
    10/24/2022

Raw almonds deliver a wide array of nutrients and health benefits; but are the almonds you’re buying truly “raw”?
    Raw almonds contain a bevy of important micronutrients that support health. They support heart health, gut health, fight inflammation, reduce insulin resistance, and help with weight control. It’s relatively well-known that roasting almonds reduces their nutrient content, which is why many health-conscious consumers opt for raw almonds. The problem is, if you’re buying your almonds from a store, it’s almost guaranteed that they are not truly “raw,” even if it says so on the package. To get real raw almonds, the only way to do so is directly from a grower.

Continue reading at: https://anh-usa.org/dont-make-this-almond-mistake/

Default Re: Don’t Make this Almond Mistake

I don't use a lot of almonds to begin with. They are pricey, and a sprinkling of almonds in a serving is not going to create miracles in my nutrient profile. In this case, I'm not about to discard the package of almonds in my refrigerator. Cider, on the other hand, can make a huge difference. Pasteurized cider has lost all its benefits and tastes like weak apple juice. Fortunately, I have the option of getting all the raw cider I want from my Amish friends.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    I don't use a lot of almonds to begin with. ...
    Same here, including ALL nuts, too much pie and pizza crust, hard cheese, and heavy bread, as well as other hard to digest foods such as lean, well done meats and hard chocolate, as they all can initiate a painful brief inguinal hernia. A handful of (say 5) nuts might be tolerable, but have to consider what else was ingested. I rely much on home made coleslaw for my fiber, nutrition, and digestibility. My integrative doctor has me taking "now" brand Pancreatan (out-of-pocket) to help stimulate production of digestive enzymes. It's "fun" getting old. https://www.rxlist.com/pancreatin/supplements.htm Informative NON-spam.
    Last edited by grulla; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:02 PM.

I'll give you ten more years, maybe less, before I ask you to say that again! So far I haven't had an overwhelming number of complaints, but just the rate of slowing down is enough to be discouraging. "hard cheese,... heavy bread, as well as other hard to digest foods such as lean, well done meats and hard chocolate..." None of these have the least effect on me. I can eat anything, although what you call "heavy bread" is something a diabetic like me has to avoid, and the same is true for pizza crust. I can digest anything, even without my gallbladder — which my cancer surgeon claimed to have removed along with a chunk of my large intestine.

But then again, and you even once said it yourself, you eat minimal intermittent fasting (IF) meal amounts while I, in my 2 IF meals a day, eat like Henry VIII, so besides food substance, meal serving size may well have something to do with my lower gut blockage problem as well, (???), as I can get by, say, with just a handful of nuts without any after effects, which usually happens by the following early morning, even AFTER a bowel movement.
    Last edited by grulla; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:11 PM.

Have you ever considered cutting back from Henry VIII to maybe, I dunno, Elizabeth II? If it's variety you crave, then maybe you can just make each portion smaller? Or perhaps you could eliminate one of the items in your morning breakfast — perhaps the lamb, which is not a traditional breakfast food and adds to the amount of protein you are already ingesting? After all, you're not on the way out the door to round up the cattle or build the Quonset hut, amirite?

I continue to be active outdoors in the gardens and the entire landscape right up until snow. My typical noon meal might be a tin of sardines and a slice of toast... Or a half an apple and a handful of nuts... Or maybe a pint of homemade soup and a handful of grapes to finish the meal. My evening meal? Lots of variety, lots of stirfries, and if I'm doing meat and vegetable I'll be consuming about 3 ounces of meat or fish and maybe a half cup to a cup each of carrots or green beans or beets or squash or broccoli or cauliflower or greens or whatever appeals to me at the moment. And fruit.
    Last edited by Islander; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:02 PM.

I'm far from being overweight. When I retired in 2010, from driving my railroad telecom service trucks over 42 years, I weighed 212+lbs, and today I'm down to 175 lbs, thanks to improved hi-protein, low carb diet that the various health websites promote, so my real issue is digestive enzymes of particular foods and related quantities.
    Last edited by grulla; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:53 AM.

Well done, you!

Thread Information