Thread: Essential Oils And Their Uses

Default Essential Oils And Their Uses

Using the science of smell for healing has been around literally for thousands of years, with the ancient Egyptians and even the Chinese being known to use aromatic plants for well being. For such healing and therapeutic uses such as for aromatherapy, essential oils are used.
    Essential oils are in effect the ‘essence’ of a particular plant and may be distilled from the flowers, stem, leaves, roots, bark or other part of a plant. They are not necessarily ‘oil’ in the sense that it may not be a viscous or unctuous fluid in some cases.
    Since essential oils in their pure forms are very concentrated, they are usually used in conjunction with a base or what is known as ‘carrier oil’ to dilute them which is usually almond, grape seed or apricot oil.
    When used in the prescribed manner by diluting using base oil, essential oils are known to address a number of minor ailments:
    • One of the best known uses of essential oils is relieving of stress, anxiety and depression by inhalation. Also known to alleviate fatigue, they can be invigorating and energizing. Bergamot for instance is known to help in relieving anger, anxiety, frustration, and sadness.
    • Massage using essential oils can relieve muscular pain, which can manifest itself in stiffness and aching of the limbs and back area. They are also used for pain caused by rheumatism
    • They form a natural antiseptic and can be applied to the affected area to treat insect bites as well as minor cuts and abrasions. Certain fungal infections are also known to benefit from the applications of suitable essential oils.
    • Essential oils when used in the prescribed manner can aid and improve blood circulation.
    • They are also known to combat hair loss and improve hair growth on the head.
    • Inhalation of essential oils is known to ease the nausea including that which is associated with morning sickness and can also ease other problematic digestive symptoms such as flatulence and indigestion.
    • Certain aromas are known aphrodisiacs, and similarly certain essential oils also claim to combat frigidity and impotence.
    • Essential oils are known to be used to cure sleeplessness and insomnia. For instance pregnant women are often advised to bathe with water infused with essential lavender oil, for alleviating symptoms like irregular sleep, restless legs syndrome etc.
    Essential oils should however be used under direction and pregnant women in particular should seek direction on their use. When used according to indication, essential oils can be highly beneficial.

http://tinyurl.com/mvm2xe

Veteran Member

Default Re: Essential Oils And Their Uses

This is an old article that I've dredged up in pursuit of some answers. I am new to the world of aromatherapy. It just never really interested me enough to try it--until now. That "other" website posted an article on aromatherapy today. Based on one of the commenters who usually seems to have his act together (rare on that website), I ordered a bottle of DoTerra lavender from Amazon. Small bottle, not cheap. I chose lavender because it's supposed to be somewhat all-purpose.

My questions: Does anyone know if these DoTerra oils come undiluted? If you have to mix it yourself, what carrier oil have you found to work best and at what sort of ratio? Maybe--hopefully--it will come with some instructions since I am pretty clueless in this regard. I guess you can just wing it, but I'd rather not waste or ruin the stuff.

I get that you can dab the oil on a wrist like perfume, or put a few drops on a cut, or on a pillow case, etc. Could you use it full strength for those purposes, or does it always need to be diluted? Surely you don't ingest it--or do you? Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

I have heard very good things about DoTerra from a knowledgeable healer, but sorry, I have had no experience with oils or aromatherapy.
    ā˛¤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

LMW ā€” here is an article on basics for using lavender essential oil and this is how I use it. If I get a boil or insect bite I use 1-2 drops directly on the skin. I have also used it for sleep like they mention and for mild burns directly applied. Hope this helps! I also posted this seperately.

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-7769/...oull-need.html
    Last edited by Reesacat; 09-04-14 at 05:56 PM.

Reesacat, is it full strength? Or must it be diluted?

One of the responders to the Mercola article said she found an enormous difference in using the full-strength essential oils, versus those bought from a health food store. It made me wonder if that's why I have had no success with lavender, though I have a good quality oil.

I am using NOW organic lavender essential oil undiluted.

Veteran Member

Well. This is timely for me. I also have recently looked up essential oils, due to a mistake I made with one, the consequences of which were, and to an extent still are, unpleasant.

I have used tea tree oil undiluted on my feet when they itched, with no problems, in spite of the fact that the people I bought if from warned me, of their own accord, that it should be diluted. (I hadn't asked, but I appreciated that.) So far, so good.

We've been having our second worst winter for mosquitoes (well, actually, I guess it's good for the mosquitoes, bad for us humans, lol.) But it's not really a laughing matter, for two important reasons: 1. They rob me of my sound sleep! That is no small thing! 2.) They can, and very often do, carry dengue fever, which, thank God, I've never had, though almost everybody I know here in Brazil has, at least once, including my son when he lived here. (And yes, believe it or not, we have mosquito problems here in Rio in winter, not in summer. I think our summers are too hot for them!)

In desperation one night, after my normal measures (closing all windows, heat notwithstanding, at four o'clock; using the mosquito-zapping racquet on every mosquito I possibly can, including in the hallway of my apartment building, etc.), I dabbed some undiluted lemongrass oil on the light bulb on the lamp on my bedside table. No problem there. (I like to read before I go to sleep.) I also dabbed some on some of the pulse points you'd use for perfume.

First night, no problem, and better sleep, I think. Second night, I forgot to dab the oil on myself before going to bed. My husband was still up, so I asked him to dab it on me. He sort of rubbed it, as opposed to dabbing it, on a few places. Still no problem...yet. But next morning I absent-mindedly, more or less gently scratched the spots inside my elbows where he'd rubbed it, and immediately I got a raised, red, very irritated, very itchy mess on the spot. This was maybe six days ago, and it's a lot better now, but not gone yet. It's maybe an inch and a half across and two or three inches long.

After the fact (duh), I did some further online research and found that many people advocate always diluting all essential oils in carrier oils, such as coconut oil, which would be my oil of choice. I also found that certain oils, notably all oils that seem at all citrus-y, even in name (such as the lemongrass oil I used) are especially important to dilute. Next time I will definitely dilute the lemongrass oil, but now I'm worried that I'm oversensitized, and am sort of afraid to use it in the same spots (or maybe any spots) again, at least for a long time. Sigh.

I now definitely think that the first times you use any essential oil on your skin, you should dilute it, and then see how you react and take it from there, little by little. Better safe than sorry!

(By the way, when I was doing my searching recently, I came across a DoTerra distributor's site. At first, the it seemed promising to me, but digging deeper, I decided I wasn't so impressed, but at this moment I couldn't tell you why. Sorry.)
    Last edited by Pattypans; 09-04-14 at 10:55 PM.

Veteran Member

My thanks to everyone who responded, and thanks, Reesacat, for the link. Pattypans, I will definitely dilute the oil until I see what effect it has on me. Thanks for the heads-up. Coconut oil doesn't work well for me (allergy, maybe) so I think I'll try almond oil for the carrier. I'm pretty sure Whole Foods carries essential oils, but I thought I'd try the DoTerra first.

Patty, mosquitoes love me, and I get horrible red, itchy lumps when bitten that last for days. I bought a little gizmo online - I think you can get it on Amazon - that keeps the little buggers away. It makes the sound of a male mosquito that puts off the biting females, though you can't hear a thing. It really does work!

This is the one I have: http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Ultrasonic.../dp/B001N0QUCI

Or there is an app for your phone which does the same thing: https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/anti...385921289?mt=8
    Last edited by Julieanne; 09-05-14 at 06:18 AM.

Thanks, everyone, for all the helpful information!

Thread Information