Thread: Toxins in School Cleaning Supplies

Default Toxins in School Cleaning Supplies

California Kids Breathe Toxics in School Air

Ordinary school cleaning supplies can expose children to multiple chemicals linked to asthma, cancer, and other documented health problems and to hundreds of other air contaminants that have never been tested for safety, a study by the Environmental Working Group shows. Laboratory tests done for EWG found that a typical assortment of cleaning products released 457 distinct chemicals into the air.
    EWG’s findings come at a time when childhood asthma and many childhood cancers are on the rise. Lax labeling requirements mean that schools often don't know what they're purchasing. Many would be alarmed to learn that when used as directed, Comet Disinfectant Powder Cleanser, a product commonly used in both schools and private homes, released more than 100 air contaminants, including chloroform, benzene, and formaldehyde.
    In response to these concerns, many schools have turned to safer cleaning supplies that have been independently certified to meet protective health and safety standards. Eight states have passed legislation requiring or encouraging use of these green cleaning products in schools. Many other forward-thinking school districts have adopted green cleaning policies, replacing toxic products with safer, effective alternatives with no increase in costs.
    http://www.ewg.org/node/28200

School Cleaners Test Results

EWG tested over 20 cleaners used in schools in California, and detected hundreds of air contaminants not listed as ingredients by manufacturers.
    Further testing shows that cleaning a model classroom using 3 widely used, certified green products produces far less air pollution than cleaning the same classroom with 3 common conventional cleaners.

For specific cleaners and contaminants, please go here:
    http://www.ewg.org/schoolcleaningsup...ppliesoverview

Default Re: Toxins in School Cleaning Supplies

I was amazed: 146 air contaminants in Comet. Febreze is right up there too. And I've relied a lot on Simple Green (the "green" refers to color) but I see it ain't so green in other respects. Wow.

Let's see:
    Soap nuts, vinegar and H2O2 for laundry
    Borax/washing soda/citric acid for dishwasher
    Vinegar, lemon juice, baking soda for general cleaning
    Thieves cleaner (essential oils) for tough greasy stuff like my stove.

It would be interesting to test my apartment vs another one, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowsong
    Let's see:
    Soap nuts, vinegar and H2O2 for laundry
    Borax/washing soda/citric acid for dishwasher
    Vinegar, lemon juice, baking soda for general cleaning
    Thieves cleaner (essential oils) for tough greasy stuff like my stove.

It would be interesting to test my apartment vs another one, lol.
    Soapnuts can also be used in the dishwasher by attaching the washbag to the cutlery dispenser. Use white vinegar as a rinse aid for an all natural clean.

Big Bear, CA (tiny town in the mountains)

Quote Originally Posted by Islander
    And I've relied a lot on Simple Green (the "green" refers to color) but I see it ain't so green in other respects. Wow.
    Simple Green is absolutely THE WORST for me. I end up with asthma at any concentration. This is from their website:

Simple Green is one of the most versatile all-purpose cleaners you can buy! It’s non-toxic and biodegradable, without harmful bleach. Because it is a concentrate, you can custom dilute Simple Green to clean just about anything dirty. It replaces most cleaners, detergents, degreasers and laundry pre-soaks you're using now!
    Simple Green
    The implication (with the "non-toxic, biodegradable") is that it is a safer, healthier cleaner & that has been the implication from the beginning. NOT true!

Quote Originally Posted by Katee
    The implication (with the "non-toxic, biodegradable") is that it is a safer, healthier cleaner & that has been the implication from the beginning. NOT true!
    I agree Katee. Products that are labelled as "green" may be less toxic to the environment but still be a problem for man.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaltrude
    Soapnuts can also be used in the dishwasher by attaching the washbag to the cutlery dispenser. Use white vinegar as a rinse aid for an all natural clean.
    I tried that...the dishes stayed pretty greasy :( I do use vinegar as a rinse aid.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowsong
    I tried that...the dishes stayed pretty greasy :( I do use vinegar as a rinse aid.
    We don't have a dishwasher therefore haven't tried it ourselves but some friends of ours have had success using them. Perhaps they didn't have very greasy dishes.

Thread Information