Thread: Magnesium and Type 2 Diabetes

Default Magnesium and Type 2 Diabetes

Prevention on a plate
    Prevention on a plate Next time you stop in at the grocery store, fill a bag with kale, collards or spinach and grab a nice selection of assorted nuts. Besides the fact that they're firmly in the whole foods camp and they taste good—they can also fend off type-2 diabetes.

A research team did a meta-analysis comparing multiple studies that encompassed almost 287,000 participants and over 10,000 cases of type-2 diabetes. The studies showed a consistent link between magnesium intake and type-2 diabetes risk.

According to the analysis, with every 100-milligram increase in magnesium intake, there was a corresponding decrease in risk by 15 percent for type-2 diabetes.

Magnesium has been recognized as playing a role in insulin sensitivity. It is essential for regulating blood sugar levels. In animal studies using rats, a deficiency in magnesium was shown to have a negative effect on glucose- induced insulin secretion and uptake. However, supplementing with magnesium caused a positive effect by reducing the development of diabetes.

While the researchers wouldn't go out on a limb and actually recommend magnesium supplements, they did suggest that it's a good idea to make sure you get adequate amounts from food.

That just so happens to be my favorite recommendation. Your first line of defense against a wide range of illnesses can be found right in your own well- stocked pantry. Food is medicine—but it has to be nutritious food. (No one can possibly kid themselves into thinking a half-gallon of Chubby Hubby ice cream is good for you—even if you try using the kiddie excuse, "Well, there's milk in it!")

Good sources of magnesium, besides the leafy green vegetables and the nuts I already mentioned, include navy beans, lima beans, broccoli, brown rice, avocados, haddock, and oatmeal. That's a pretty nice variety, making it easier to include magnesium-rich foods in a variety of meals throughout your day.

If you decide to go the supplement route, choose one of the better-absorbed forms such as magnesium citrate, glycinate, orotate, malate, fumurate or some combination of these. Twin Labs, KAL and Solgar are widely available off-the- shelf brands. Magnesium oxide mostly slips through your body unabsorbed while irritating your intestinal tract.

Until next time,

Dr. Alan Inglis
    House Calls November 20, 2007

www.healthrevelations.com

Default Re: Magnesium and Type 2 Diabetes

Great article Reesacat. I get so frustrated...this is the 3rd time today I've clicked on an interesting link and you have to PAY to read the material. I understand they have to make a living.

BobDozor

Default Re: Magnesium and Type 2 Diabetes

great information. Thanks

Thread Information