Thread: Great Cough Syrup-Honey

Default Great Cough Syrup-Honey

DO NOT GIVE PLAIN RAW HONEY TO CHILDREN UNDER 1 YEAR OLD
    (Can lead to Infant Botulism)

Volume 3, Issue 5
    February 4, 2010
    The only cough "syrup" that really works

It's the time of year when colds and flu can really drag you down. They're even worse when a cough develops. A bad cough can keep you from sleeping, give you headaches, and make life miserable. If a cough is causing you to lose sleep, I often recommend a cough syrup, just so you can get some rest. But I always wince when I tell someone to take these over-the-counter drugs. Most of them are terrible for your liver. And they can cause side effects in some people.
    Now a new study suggests the best cough syrup may be completely natural - and it's probably in your kitchen cabinet. While this natural medicine is not technically a syrup (syrups are a processed food), it is safer than regular cough medicine. And it's also more effective.

Researchers at the Department of Pediatrics in the College of Medicine at Pennsylvania State University conducted this study. They wanted to compare the effects of a single dose of buckwheat honey (a dark, almost black honey made from the buckwheat plant) versus a dose of the most common cough medication — dextromethorphan (DM). To do this, they looked at 105 children between the ages of 2 and 18 years old. Doctors had diagnosed all of them with upper respiratory tract infections involving significant coughing.
    The researchers divided the children into three groups. The first group took a single dose of buckwheat honey 30 minutes before bedtime. The second group took a single dose of honey-flavored DM at the same time. The third group did not take any treatment at all.
    The researchers then assessed how often the children coughed, how severe the cough was, and how much sleep both the parents and the children were able to get.
    The authors of the study found "significant differences in symptom improvement" between the groups. The group taking the honey consistently scored the best. The group taking no treatment consistently scored the worst. In paired comparisons, honey was significantly superior to no treatment for cough frequency.
    Not surprisingly, the group taking the DM scored no better than the group taking no treatment for any outcome.
    In other words, the results indicated that the medication (DM) was no better than giving a placebo. But the honey was very effective. The authors concluded that using honey as a cough treatment was better than taking a medication.
    So why is honey so good? Like with many natural remedies, no one really knows. Remember that there is no incentive for science to study natural remedies because there's no profit in it. But there are several things that we do know about honey. One is that it kills germs. This is especially true of raw honey, and particularly true of the raw manuka honey (leptospermum scoparium) that comes from New Zealand. The other quality of honey is that it's anti-inflammatory. Finally, anyone who has ever taken a teaspoon of honey will tell you that it's very soothing to the throat.
    So the next time you or your child struggles with a cough, think sweet. Combined with vitamin A, zinc lozenges, fluids, and rest, honey should be a part of your treatment program. It really works!

Finding your Real Cures,

Dr. Frank Shallenberger
    February 4,2010
    Real Cures Health Alert
    www.RealCuresLetter.com
    Last edited by Reesacat; 02-05-10 at 07:30 PM.

Default Re: Great Cough Syrup-Honey

A dear friend brought me some Manukua Raw Honey and I swear by that stuff-it is the best wound dressing I have found.

Big Bear, CA (tiny town in the mountains)

Quote Originally Posted by Reesacat
    A dear friend brought me some Manukua Raw Honey and I swear by that stuff-it is the best wound dressing I have found.
    I've also found it great for sore throats - even better than regular.

Oh, & besides the Manuka honey for dressings - i swear by Myrrh Oil. It has cleared a nasty rash for me when nothing else did.

Quote Originally Posted by Reesacat
    It is worth trying active manuka honey on any skin condition you may have. It does not work all the time but it will help in a significant number of conditions. Olive leaf in combination with active manuka honey seems to get a cold or flu under control quicker than just olive leaf alone. Use your imagination with manuka honey. It is effective for a lot of conditions where you would not even consider using honey.

Just to mention that the buckwheat honey found at the Penn State University school store is the best I ever have had. Probably it is not available without actually going there, but whenever I happen to be in the central Pennsylvania area, it definitely is worth a short stop. Surely better than the "grilled stickies" from the NCD (now called some other name) that some people actually eat.

Thread Information