Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips for 'MCS Attacks'

Aotearoa - Land of erm... sheep and clouds and grumpy volcanoes

Default Tips for 'MCS Attacks'

Argh, so I just had a biggie... anybody got any tips on dealing with a reaction while you're in the midst of one, other than getting the hell away from whatever it is that's the problem? This was my worst yet and man I feel like hell.

Default Re: Tips for 'MCS Attacks'

EFT stat!
    Vitamin C flush at whatever dose you can tolerate.
    I also for myself take a Benadryl and rub in 1/2 teaspoon OTC hydrocortisone cream if I think I am having really bad allergic reaction.
    Keeping you in my heart and prayers....
    Do you know what it was that set you off?

Yeah, my textbook, lol. I AM ALLERGIC TO EXAMS. Seriously.

No, I had an open-book exam today, and my textbook is new-ish... haven't used it much. So flipping between pages and fanning myself with whatever ink it was they used to print it's fumes... started off as not too bad, then suddenly it was a full-blown one. I don't get skin allergies at all, but I get really awful headaches and brainfog, muscle and joint aches, extreme fatigue, nausea... was horrible.

So I was sitting there there holding my breath trying hard not to fan the fumes at my face and just finish it, but couldn't breathe properly by the end of the exam... had just managed to shake it off by the time I walked home through the park (lots of fresh air), when I walked in my door and my charming flatmate who knows full-well about my issues with cleaning products had mopped the floor with something horrible smelling, sprayed the place with flyspray so thickly I could feel it on my skin, and the whole bathroom stunk of bleach.

All of which set me off badly.

So I closed my door, opened my windows, shivered a lot because I think it must affect my circulation as I suddenly go freezing, curled up on my bed with a sleeping bag and 3 rugs, and slept for 3 hours.

YUCK.

<dislike>

I'm drinking a lot of water to try and flush it through, and what Vitamin C I have (which isn't very good stuff unfortunately, don't know how bioavailable it is, but anything is better than nothing, right?), and taking lots of spirulina. Hopefully it'll kick in soon. The headache's still there and my muscles hurt, I'm fatigued... yuck.

This was my week to do the cleaning too and my flatmate is seriously unhinged, she'll go crazy at me for not doing it today... but there's no way I'm going near anything remotely chemical for a couple of days.

Also, what's the deal with getting properly 'diagnosed'? I mean, is there any real use in going down that road? I'm assuming the only real treatments are going to be fairly naturopathic anyway... nutrition, antioxidants, EFT, adaptogenic herbs, etc etc?

Check for incoming PM....

Very few docs in USA know much about MCS.
    Usually the patient has to figure out what their individual triggers are and avoid them while using the treatments you listed to support the body as it gets rid of the chemical.

Unfortuanely for me, I can walk into a store and if they used some wonky cleaning stuff have to leave before the killer migraines knock me out.

Everything is getting artifically scented in my area of USA.
    nasty-nasty-nasty....

I have found I just have to let them take their course for the most part though I have recently found that I do tolerate lifestream chlorella and it does help. For the most part, avoiding an attack is avoiding the triggers. This is obviously going to be difficult when your text book is a trigger. I suggest you investigate getting a mask to wear when you know you are going to be exposed. This certainly helps me.
    This is similar to the one I use. It is available from Mitre 10 stores and is not hugely expensive. It is enough to do the job for me.
    http://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/hand_t...ask_275541.cfm

Brilliant, thank you. Winter's coming so at least I can use scarfs as masks when necessary too!!

I might try that chlorella... I do like Lifestream's products, I find they work pretty well. Just gulped down 15 of their spirulina tablets before, lol, seems to have helped a bit. Or at least it gave me an energy hit to get me through.

Yick. Feeling so toxic.

Quote Originally Posted by DizzyIzzy
    Yick. Feeling so toxic.
    I can relate.
    Keep your focus on the fact that you will come out of it and give thanks for the fact that you are not incapacitated or isolated by MCS as some people are. You are still able to largely funtion in this toxic world. There are some who are prisoners in their homes, they react so badly to almost everything they come in contact with outside of their own bubble.
    And remember, you have MCS, it is not your MCS. Half the battle is to make sure you DO NOT take ownership of it.

Hell no it's not mine, lol! I don't want it - it's the crappy chemical companies' MCS. Grrrrrr.

That's kind of what freaks me out. If this is me, and this is mild, and I can function relatively normally, then I can only imagine how hard it must be for people who have it worse - I mean, ok, I have to use natural cleaning products and personal care products, and I choke on fumes and fragrances and avoid the cleaning aisle and get sick from random things every so often... but really, that's not bad. And if that's the extent of it, then I'm so lucky. It's a pain but at least I'm relatively ok. My heart really goes out to those who have it worse - and I know many have it far, far worse.

Hell no it's not mine, lol! I don't want it - it's the crappy chemical companies' MCS. Grrrrrr.
    Great attitude Iz - love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaltrude
    And remember, you have MCS, it is not your MCS. Half the battle is to make sure you DO NOT take ownership of it.
    Yes! I second this thought. These maladies from which we suffer are unwelcome visitors in our personal house, and must be made to depart, through the use of our knowledge and of each other. They can be honored, as perhaps a necessary wake up, and then firmly but politely be asked NOW TO LEAVE.

How are you doing today?
    Find anything that works?
    Wonder what homeopathics would work in an MCS attack....

Feeling a little better today... managed to stand in the bathroom/laundry and clean it for half an hour without reacting too badly to the litany of filthy products it reeks of most the time (using my natural cleaning stuff of course, no foul smells for me!). Still got a throat that feels like it's been burned, but other than that, much better! Dosed up on spirulina and vitamin C before bed again, which probably helped some.

Mind you, I did sort of sleep in till about 11am...

Yeah, my textbook, lol. I AM ALLERGIC TO EXAMS. Seriously.

No, I had an open-book exam today, and my textbook is new-ish... haven't used it much. So flipping between pages and fanning myself with whatever ink it was they used to print it's fumes... started off as not too bad, then suddenly it was a full-blown one. I don't get skin allergies at all, but I get really awful headaches and brainfog, muscle and joint aches, extreme fatigue, nausea... was horrible.
    Dizzy, I had to quit reading newspapers and give up a few magazine subscriptions for that very reason. I don't buy new books anymore either.

I have a few suggestions for next time:

First, I have Thieves essential oil from Young Living along with their diffuser. If I have a bad exposure, I mix a drop or 2 with coconut oil and put it on my chest and right under my nose. I also run the diffuser for about an hour. This has frequently prevented me from having to use my inhaler or nebulizer but not always. Oil of oregano also helps but not as well as the Thieves.

If I have to go places, I carry N95 masks with me (they are tight enough to filter air born infections etc). They are not comfortable and I get very strange looks, but gosh, it works! A scarf over your face will not protect you that much. It is too porous and the chemicals will still get to your airways even if it is filtered enough that you can't smell it.

I have long term permanent lung damage from chemical exposure in the 70s. Just do everything you can to protect yourself now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information