Thread: Serious side effects simply being ignored by docs

Default Serious side effects simply being ignored by docs

e-letter From: "Healthier Talk" <healthiertalk@healthiertalk.com

Thought you imagined a far away look in your doc’s eyes the last time you tried to tell him about side effects you were experiencing from your meds?

Turns out you weren’t imagining it.

A staggering number of doctors are ignoring us when we report side effects. A study published in the Journal of Clinical Psychiatry found that patients are reporting side effects from their depression medications 20 times more than their psychiatrists bother to record in their charts.

And even in cases where patients’ self-reported side effects were limited to “frequently occurring” or “very bothersome”...so were talking serious side effects here...the rate was two to three times higher than was actually recorded in their charts.

Oh...it gets better...

Researchers helpfully suggested that patients fill out self- administered questionnaires to resolve this problem. Are you kidding me? Am I missing something?

The patients are clearly not the problem here. Their own study shows that they ARE reporting their side effects. It’s the ones in the white coats who are failing! Can we for once just ask these doctors to do their job?

In light of this news it’s no wonder that so many people choose to go against medical advice and stop taking their prescribed meds. Honestly, who can blame them? The problem is that simply stopping meds suddenly can be extremely dangerous.

Admittedly, hardly a day goes by when I don’t read about something that mainstream medicine is up to that raises my blood pressure. But this absolute disregard by doctors for the health and safety of their patients goes far beyond negligence. This is simply willful neglect.

And I’m simply disgusted,

Alice Wessendorf

Default Re: Serious side effects simply being ignored by docs

Oh I can totally believe this: Not only don't they chart it, they tell you:
    You're imagining it. If you don't think about it it won't happen.

You're only saying that because you read it. It really doesn't happen.

You might need a higher dose (ie drug you into submission)

I could go on and on but docs don't WANT to believe their beloved drugs, especially psychotropic medications aren't
    all they're cracked up to be. They are intentionally choosing not to report what the patient says because that leads to more paperwork. There are many cases where they are required to report an adverse reaction to the FDA and the manufacturer. They don't want to get involved, spend the extra time etc. I've seen this both as a patient and as a nurse.

EmmaPeel

Quote Originally Posted by mellowsong
    They don't want to get involved, spend the extra time etc. I've seen this both as a patient and as a nurse.
    Me too. The entire system is flawed in that I know Doc's who want to get into alternatives, but are reluctant because they do not want to be ridiculed by their peers, and realize that they will lose major money. As you know, it is all about chasing the Almighty $...

I know several friends who are on anti-depressants/anti-anxiety meds, and who would like to get off them. They are being told that if they cease taking them they risk the chance of having a major episode. With the side effects they experience, really, it is not hard to understand why anyone would not want to get off them.

For some individuals, under professional guidance, all they need is time, therapy, some EFT, regular exercise, rest, and proper nutrition (lifestyle changes), and a whole lotta positive reinforcement.

What ever happened to THAT type of caring???
    Last edited by EmmaPeel; 05-16-10 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaPeel
    For some individuals, under professional guidance, all they need is time, therapy, some EFT, regular exercise, rest, and proper nutrition (lifestyle changes), and a whole lotta positive reinforcement. What ever happened to THAT type of caring???
    Forget the professional guidance...when I looked for it all I got was ridicule. I've said many times that through proper nutrition, lifestyle changes, sheer determination and the grace of God, I got myself off 5 psychotropic medications.

Big Bear, CA (tiny town in the mountains)

This doesn't surprise me.

I worked for a doctor 2 years & then in hospitals for 10 years. I also used to use a lot of drugs believing in "better living thru science." Of all the drug reactions i saw with the doc, in hospital, & in my own personal experience, i don't believe any of the reactions were reported.

Of course, i could go on & on about the number of mistakes made in hospital, as well. Unless it was more than "life threatening" it wasn't reported. I say that because so many were "life threatening" but "contained" & therefore they could sweep it under a rug. One of the hospitals where i worked simply settled out of court with a gag-order attached to cover over their issues. They are the best rated hospital in Orange County, CA, but i wouldn't want to have to go there for anything.

When i was in college & studying the way that "gold standard" studies are done, i had in mind a clean, clear, therapeutic situation where the outcome was as definitive as in a chemistry lab. Then i worked hospital & saw these "gold standard" studies in action & was appalled. Even then, still believing in the "science" of drug studies, i could see how clearly the data could be manipulated & side effects overlooked. There is nothing "clean or clear" about the studies i witnessed.

The more i learn about health, the more i take any kind of report or study with a truckload of salt.

EmmaPeel

Quote Originally Posted by mellowsong
    Forget the professional guidance...when I looked for it all I got was ridicule. I've said many times that through proper nutrition, lifestyle changes, sheer determination and the grace of God, I got myself off 5 psychotropic medications.

I am truly encouraged to see that it can be done, and you are a shining example of it.

However, Mellow, it would be reckless for me to not encourage anyone who wanted to go off their meds to consult and work with an N. Dr., Naturopathic Nurse Practitioner, or a like minded therapist/healer.

As you know, there are some psychotropic meds that if gone off cold turkey can be fatal, and any adjustment or cessation of medications does need to be monitored, IMHO.

However, Mellow, it would be reckless for me to not encourage anyone who wanted to go off their meds to consult and work with an N. Dr., Naturopathic Nurse Practitioner, or a like minded therapist/healer.
    I don't think she was encouraging anyone to stop meds without medical help.

I was on quite a brew of psychotropics & pain meds about 8-10 years ago. And having a host of nasty side-effects & just generally feeling awful.

By the grace of God i was able to make some cognitive changes just about 8 years ago, & change my thinking patterns & make positive choices. Not long after that i met my husband & i began to learn of healthier choices because we wanted to have a family.

Over all, i think much of the reason the depression lifted was in changing the things i was eating. I'd been relying on too much fast food, too much sugar & HFCS. I also learned that much of the problem - as i believed at the onset - was physical not emotional/mental. Chronic fatigue explains my problems much better than depression, but i let the doctors talk me into believing depression - & i made myself so with drugs & poor food choices.

I was able to wean myself off meds - the last ones were Topomax & Prozac - over time & by making choices that supported my health. I've been drug free now for 5 years. I rarely even take something for a headache.

Now, i'm not suggesting that someone else do the same. But exploring options & choices is not bad. It is always safest to do it under the care of a doctor.

I strongly believe that the first thing that should be done after a mental health diagnosis like depression (& naturally all other possible causes have been ruled out) is to change to a healthy lifestyle of good organic food & exercise. I believe that much of the population would respond to that.

I'm not ruling out meds being necessary, tho honestly the info that is coming out now certainly makes the effacy of the drugs questionable, but it seems to me that lifestyle changes should be the first step.

But that is not quick, easy, nor does it come in a pill. It will be a long time before this is implemented.

EmmaPeel

Quote Originally Posted by Katee
    I don't think she was encouraging anyone to stop meds without medical help.

I was able to wean myself off meds - the last ones were Topomax & Prozac - over time & by making choices that supported my health. I've been drug free now for 5 years. I rarely even take something for a headache.

Now, i'm not suggesting that someone else do the same. But exploring options & choices is not bad. It is always safest to do it under the care of a doctor.

I strongly believe that the first thing that should be done after a mental health diagnosis like depression (& naturally all other possible causes have been ruled out) is to change to a healthy lifestyle of good organic food & exercise. I believe that much of the population would respond to that.

I'm not ruling out meds being necessary, tho honestly the info that is coming out now certainly makes the effacy of the drugs questionable, but it seems to me that lifestyle changes should be the first step.

But that is not quick, easy, nor does it come in a pill. It will be a long time before this is implemented.
    My apologies to Mellow for any misunderstanding, but when I read 'forget professionals' I interpreted to mean that she was saying that professional guidance or monitoring was not recommended??

If I am incorrect, I apologize Mellow Honey!
    I was pointing out that if anyone was considering any modification or cessation, it should be done under the safe guidance of a professional, as you just have suggested.

Katee you echo my sentiments exactly, and that really was all I was saying. Some individuals have been able to make similar changes to what you have after a diagnosis, but as you said, there are other individual factors that must be considered and ruled out first. Clean up the diet, make some positive lifestyle changes, and in my opinion, address the emotional side of where the root of the problem originated.

I am sincerely happy for you that you were able to get off the meds by changing your lifestyle and diet!
    Last edited by EmmaPeel; 05-17-10 at 03:22 PM.

Emma - i missed or forgot where she said "forget professionals!"

But i honestly echo the sentiment. After so many years of with doctors, i don't have much regard for them. My own improved health came not thru their drugs or suggestions (i strongly believe that much of what i still have to deal with was created by the drugs & docs) but by changing my thoughts, attitudes, & lifestyle.

I think Mello's comment was bourne out of frustration with our "health care" docs & culture, not truly advising someone to ignore the advice of their own doctors or to make massive changes without some guidance from someone. That might be a MD, a ND, a NP or PA. Or some other form. I've honestly kind of given up on the lettered professionals, tho i still hope someday i can find one who can help increase my functioning somewhat.

I am truly encouraged to see that it can be done, and you are a shining example of it.

As you know, there are some psychotropic meds that if gone off cold turkey can be fatal, and any adjustment or cessation of medications does need to be monitored, IMHO.
    Maybe I didn't come across right. I was talking strictly about myself! As I said, I sought such guidance and was ridiculed. The chiropractor from whom I was learning nutrition etc told me to just stop them...yeah...what Emma said, can be fatal. That's the kind of guidance I found.

I would HIGHLY recommend getting help from someone who knows about these drugs and would support you.
    Also, something I forget many of you may not know is that I'm an RN (disabled but once a nurse always a nurse, lol) I also have a degree in pharmacology so I had the knowledge of these drugs and the ability to safely self monitor. I realize not everyone has the knowledge base I do.

So, I never meant to imply that you should do it on your one per se. On the other hand, what is a person to do if such professional help isn't available...just keep taking the garbage once they learn the truth?

I was extremely careful and sought guidance in various groups and from people who had been through it. There are sites too that offer great help such as
    www.theroadback.org

My experiences have led me to extreme distrust of physicians and most medical "professionals". I hesitate to call them anything but professional, licensed drug pushers. Even with these feelings, you will see me telling people to see a physician when necessary.

So, I was talking of my own experience and that I gave up on professional assistance, not that you shouldn't seek it.
    Last edited by mellowsong; 05-17-10 at 05:09 PM.

Thread Information