Thread: Is your sunscreen safe?

Default Is your sunscreen safe?

e-letter from ewg@ewg.org

Is your sunscreen actually protecting your family like it promises?
    Of the 500 beach and sports sunscreens that EWG analyzed for our 2010 Sunscreen Guide, we can only recommend 8 percent. Between the false sense of security from sunscreens with an SPF of 50 or higher, and new data linking vitamin A to accelerated development of skin tumors and lesions, most products don't live up to their hype. In fact, EWG found wearing a hat and shirt in the sun is your best bet.
    Click here to view EWG's 2010 Sunscreen Guide.
    You'll find:
    How does your sunscreen rank?
    Only 39 sunscreens -- one out of every 12 we reviewed -- earn our top rating for safety and effectiveness. Find out which are in our top sunscreens list. (Hint: Leading brands like Coppertone, Banana Boat and Neutrogena didn't make the cut.)
    We hope our research helps your family enjoy the summer sun safely this year.
    Sincerely,

Ken Cook
    President, EWG

ntrll9875

Default Re: Is your sunscreen safe?

you're supposed to put sunscreen around your eyes, because you will get wrinkles from the uv rays. I would try a child's tear free kind. yeah the soap will take it off.

Quote Originally Posted by ntrll9875 View Post
    you're supposed to put sunscreen around your eyes, because you will get wrinkles from the uv rays. I would try a child's tear free kind. yeah the soap will take it off.
    The skin around the eyes is extremely thin and would absorb all the nasties in conventional sunscreens in a hurry. The sun will not cause wrinkles...maybe excessive tanning will. I have never used sunscreen because, even before I knew how dangerous it was, I always reacted. I'm from the South and in my late 50s. My only wrinkles are recent and the result of weight loss.

My observations suggest that your genes may play a greater role in how many wrinkles you get than the sun. Cigarette smoking seems to be a high risk behaviour for developing wrinkles as well as developing that very characteristic raspy smoker's voice.

Thread Information