Thread: FDA approves stevia as a sugar substitute

Default FDA approves stevia as a sugar substitute

Dr Jacob Teitelbaum MD
    Aug. 16, 2010

Good News! The FDA has finally approved Stevia for use as a sugar substitute. After over a decade of economic special interests seeming to block the way (i.e., Nutrasweet), the FDA has finally approved the healthy herb Stevia as a natural sweetener to add to foods and sodas.

In fact, the first Stevia-sweetened soft drink, "Sprite Green" by Coca-Cola, was on its way to stores. Pepsi said its first Stevia product, SoBe Lifewater, should hit store shelves next week, and Trop50, a Stevia-sweetened light orange juice product, is due out in January. Dr. Pepper Snapple, the No. 3 soft drink company, said on Thursday it will market Stevia within a few weeks.

We have recommended Stevia as a safe and healthy natural sweetener for decades — even as the FDA, seemingly driven by someone heavily on the Nutrasweet payroll (though this is simply my impression, of course, without definite evidence) required the first and only book burning demanded by the U.S. government — which just happened to be books recommending Stevia. Till now, the FDA would not allow stevia to be added as a food sweetener. Instead, it could only be added as a "nutrient."

Stevia is a safe, healthy and calorie free natural sweetener. Expect the media to jump all over bizarre stories raising questions of its safety (which will be fed to the media by publicists for the sugar, Splenda and Nutrasweet trade groups trying to protect their market share). In the middle of their trying to scare you away from this healthy sweetener and back to their toxic ones, let yourself enjoy watching an example of American marketing hype in action. And indulge your sweet tooth :-)

One word of caution. If Stevia is not filtered, it will taste bitter and with a licorice aftertaste. I suspect the large soda companies will do proper filtering to ensure taste. Stevia simply comes from soaking a Stevia leaf in water and using the sweet liquid. Stevia — another great example of keeping your pleasures — while staying healthy!

http://tinyurl.com/273pflh

Default Re: FDA approves stevia as a sugar substitute

Stevia is another thing I am intolerant of

Oh Aaltrude, that is really too bad! I don't use it often , but sometimes you just want that, mmmm, sweet thing....and sugar or honey or molasses will spike my BG. Do you use any sweeteer at all, ever?

Quote Originally Posted by Islander
    Oh Aaltrude, that is really too bad! I don't use it often , but sometimes you just want that, mmmm, sweet thing....and sugar or honey or molasses will spike my BG. Do you use any sweeteer at all, ever?
    Manuka honey.

Just curious what is meant by intolerant. What symptoms do you have? And how much does it take to cause a response?

Quote Originally Posted by Islander
    Just curious what is meant by intolerant. What symptoms do you have? And how much does it take to cause a response?
    Intolerant means a biochemical intolerance as opposed to an allergy.
    An allergy is caused by an immune respose.
    A good axample of an intolerance is where an individual is intolerant of sulphites due to low vitamin B12 or molybdenum. Both nutirents are required for the production of the enzyme that converts sulphites to sulphates which can then be excreted by the body. The build up of sulphites in the body can then cause symptoms which can vary between individuals.

When I am intolerant of a food, I feel generally ill and often develop PVC's. Also the symptoms don't come on immediately you eat the substance which means it can take some detective work to trace down the culprit. It can hours or up to days and sometimes weeks before symptoms are noticeable. With a vitamin C supplement I tried a few months ago, it took two weeks. When I tried the NAC recently, it took about six days. For this reason when I am testing out a new supplement, I make sure I stick with foods I know I can eat safely. That way if symptoms develop I know it is the supplement I am testing. I will then usually discontinue using it until symptoms have subsided for a few days the reintroduce it. If the symptoms return, I can be sure it is the supplement I am testing that is the cause.

Thank you. That is helpful.

EmmaPeel

Aaltrude...that is very interesting because I am finding that same thing had been occurring with myself. Days to track down the offender...

I can't have stevia either. I get wicked migraines. I only take honey, but lately I am under my ND's orders to cut out all sugar amongst many other things....ya right.

I cheated and had 1/2 tsp of honey in my tea and ate a banana.... Oh well... I have cut out so much and done so well that I needed that!

Thread Information